How to disable/destroy one key in a laptop keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahab123

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Can somebody tell me how to disable/destroy one key in a laptop keyboard. I have an old compaq presario laptop that has an annoying habit of F1 key getting stuck, so whenever I start the computer it enters setup, I cleaned the keyboard with several methods I found on the web but after sometime the same F! key gets stuck. I want to permanently remove/ disable this key on the keyboard's hardware. (remapping the in widows wont help because windows wont start)
I've tried physically prying off the key....it didn't work, removing the keyboard cable necessitates an external keyboard, something very inconvenient, replacement keyboard is costly. I want to disable this one key alone.
I am thinking about something like selectively destroying the tiny circuit behind the rubber dome, but how this can be done safely without disturbing the remaining keys, I am not sure. Can someone help?

jcs_616

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
I find that it's not hard to disable a key. Here's how to do it:

1. Download MapKeyboard from download.com (27KB only)
2. Uncompress it, then open the MapKeyboard.exe (not installation is required)
A virtual key board will show up.
3. Click on the key that you want to disable. For my case, I click on RAlt to disable right Alt key.
4. Then at "Remap selected key to:", select "Disabled".
5. Finally, click "Save layout" and reboot the PC
If you failed to start the program, you will need to install Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0.

I think this can be useful, especially for some gamers who would like to disable the Windows key for you-know-what reason.

Besides disabling a certain key, the program can map keys as well.

Hope you find it useful too.

Status
Not open for further replies.