How to disable laptops built in keyboard?

DeadRaven

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015
The left arrow key of my HP Probook 4520s's built-in keyboard is permanently pressed and is very annoying. I am going to buy an USB keyboard, but how do I disable my built-in keyboard?? Please give me a non hardware solution because I am not willing to disassemble the laptop. Thanks

Solution

I agree with iamsoda replacing with a direct replacement is the easiest way the keyboard shouldn't be that complicated on my HP G62 model it is just press fit in with a few screws and will only require something similiar to a screw driver/butter knife etc to pull up. And then disconnect the ribbon connector. On your model it seems there may be more screws. I found this video not sure if it is the one you have...

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

You would be surprised how cheap it is to replace it with a stock screen. It will probably cost around $25 for the stock keyboard. Find a good tear down video and you are all set.

SKIPPY PB

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015

I agree with iamsoda replacing with a direct replacement is the easiest way the keyboard shouldn't be that complicated on my HP G62 model it is just press fit in with a few screws and will only require something similiar to a screw driver/butter knife etc to pull up. And then disconnect the ribbon connector. On your model it seems there may be more screws. I found this video not sure if it is the one you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRO1z3K_m0Y

As for the USB keyboard I had to do that on my G62 since I spilled a little bit of a beverage on the keys and it stopped functioning. USB key boards should be plug and play, so it should work when you plug it in. You might be able to find something on how to disable the built in keyboard through the software. What operating system do you have? Windows XP or 7 or what?

Also this was found on HP's website. It has a section about stuck keys.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4145198&docId=emr_na-c03738933-5&docLocale=en_US#N10361

Solution