How to Download and Install Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjustin

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I'm normally pretty wary of Express settings so I went to customize them but the settings are all honestly the best option in this case for the most part.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
"The system will then download a huge install file that’s over 3GB."

This will take forever with my snail DSL connection.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I already contacted MS about the offline ISO file to do a fresh installation. As of today, there won't be one for current Windows 8 license holders. If you ever need to do a reinstall or wish to do a clean install, you have to install Windows 8, download the 3.1-3.5GB Windows 8.1 file pack and do the update. In watching this update on my own system (which went smoothly) it does restart 3 times just like a new install. It is basically like installing 2 OS's to get use of one.

It blows and it makes me sad MS can't just be mature about it... we have keys AND have to go through activation. On top of that you have to install 2 OS to get the use of one.

mcgee101

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I purchased 8.1 on Mon and 8.1 pro disc I cant even upgrade... I like 8.1 when I installed it onto another computer I was building.. Somewhat frustrating (like IE is a joke crashing on the opening session). Also some drivers are finniky. Like Nvidia has some issues with the previous and new driver releases.. Clipping issues that werent there on 8. Asus is a mess under 8.1 I like the new options for software and start menu setup. I WANT MY COMPUTER BACK ON MY DESKTOP.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
If you have your local account don't switch it to microsoft account cause it will mess up lot of things...especially if you are programmer who is using windows authentication for SQL. MS -> makes worst design choices ever. When you get prompt to sign up with Microsoft account type in some fake account in correct email format and some fake password. You will get option to skip that non sense and continue using your local account. You will notice if you try to use Store or any Metro app it will prompt you again to switch to Microsoft account but then you get option on the bottom to use your outlook account just one time for particular app and still keep local account. MS doesn't recommend it but wtf they know.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Too bad for sky drive, i liked the way it behaved before but since it is integrated with Windows 8.1 and MS being arrogant about where should i save files i turned it off and switched to bit casa -> much better thing!

danm2z

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
The upgrade process doesn't work if you've split your Windows drive and Users drive. You get an error message stating that 8.1 is not compatible with your PC. I guess MS is now in league with the hard drive makers to either make you buy a huge SSD or get rid of it completely. So sad :(.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Can anyone confirm what happens if you have win8 and classic shell installed when upgrading to win8.1? Do you have to resinstall classic shell or is it easy ride... or not?

Tony Clark

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Good idea to wait a few days. I have a fairly fast DSL line with 16Mbps download, but server load yesterday was very high. Started the process at 20.00 yesterday and got finished finally after I got up today about 630 am.

Im a Mac/tablet person so was ok with W8 in its earlier form. 8.1 seems a bit so-what?

Status
Not open for further replies.