Solved! How to enable use of my Intel Motherboard’s S/PDIF port for my external DAC

echolane

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
How do I enable my Intel motherboard’s S/PDIF Port? I’ve bought a USB DAC, an Audio Alchemy DDP-1, aka an external sound card. This is an audiophile quality unit suitable for use in high res streaming. I am told the SPDIF connection is musically far superior to its USB connection. Besides no driver is needed! But.... I can’t seem to find any way to tell Windows 7 it is the sound device. How do I do that?

Intel board is DZ87KLT-75K. OS is Windows 7 64 Professional.

echolane

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

I have three screen shots that might be relevant to your question but nothing that looks like S/PDIF. But I’m technically challenged here because I can’t find a way to post them. I press all the little icons and can find ways to post URLs but not photos or snips or screenshots.

Both sentences are wrong:
- SPDIF is digital interface. USB is a digital interface too.
- In both cases you need drives (either for the audio controller built on the motherboard, or for the USB device plugged)

If you already have USB DAC, you don't need SPDIF.

echolane

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

echolane

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Most computers are such a terrible source of electrical noise that the optical output is better because the fiber cable is plastic and does not conduct electrical signals to the DAC.

As to the driver. I am not prepared to argue one way or the other. All I can say is someone told me that using the S/pdif has a second advantage that no driver was needed.

It’s clear I am over my head on this installation

echolane

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

That was indeed part of the problem, the device was nowhere to be seen.
I will definitely check the BIOS and look for a driver from Intel.
The link to the Intel board was useful, thanks.