How to get Digital Audio

kkhimji2001

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I currently have Altec Lansing ADA890 Speakers, which are currently connected to my Dell XPS 430 via the analogue green cable. However, I would like to know if I can use a digital audio connection and if so , would this increase the quality of playback. I have Spif output on my sound card and subwoofer along with full 7.1 connections on the back of my pc, please let me know which cable to get?

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Doesn't sound like you can hook your speakers, which are analouge, up that way. There might exist a 3.5mm -> Spdif converter, but I can't image you would get more then 2.0 out of it (as the green jack is for 2.0 output).

jimbowne

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
There is not a 3.5mm stereo plug to spdif convertor that I know of. The 3.5mm plug is analog and the spdif is digital, so the "convertor" would also need to convert the signal from digital to analog. If there is one of these, I'm sure it will come with a pricetag. I'd stick with the 3.5mm or consider an upgrade to logitech's z-5500 (One of the best PC speakers set without going into the home theater realm of receivers and seperate speakers) to take advantage of the digital audio.
-Jim

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what I was thinking in my first post; the speakers are analog, regardless. You'd need a seperate pair of digital speakers.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Check your computer if there’s a switch to change output configuration from analog to digital. My Asus laptop has the capability so I can use a mini TRS to RCA connector and get SPDIF output through headphone jack.

Right click on speaker icon at the taskbar and select playback, Option should consist of two to three kinds of output, one analog and two digitals; s/pdif and hdmi. If no other selection then it's analog only.

At this point, I would suggest getting an usb to SPDIF soundcard instead, which usually a cheaper option than a analog to digital converter.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I just realize than your XPS is a PC not a laptop, therefore a soundcard addition would have been cheaper I think.

Check soundcards that have SPDIF output.

JAYDEEJOHN

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Im using one, from my creative card to my z5500s. I had one made for me, special order, cant remember where, some cable company

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

S/PDIF is a digital audio format and not a connection, so I don't know where did you get the idea of 3.5 mm TRS connector won't work on SPDIF.

You may have been mis-informed, also Creative soundcards have been using it for years.

Only thing is, if his speakers does not suppport SPDIF.

SPDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format) is a digital audio format, and is also referred to as S/PDIF, S/P-DIF, and IEC 958 type II.

JAYDEEJOHN

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I had my cable made for a 3.5mm leading to a RCA, as Im still using my old Z2S. In my instance, all I needed was to carry the signal from my sound card to my 5500 control box

TRENDING THREADS