How to hook my tape deck to new AV receiver ?

mbland

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
How do I hook my tape deck to my new AV receiver when the deck has left & right RCA input jacks + left & right output jacks , but the reciver only has left & right input jacks

Solution
If you really have to record then you could use a speaker to line level converter to provide an input for the cassette. You could connect it to either the headphone jack or the front speaker outputs. Not really simple since the receiver volume control will affect the input level to the cassette deck.
If the receiver had a zone 2 audio output then your could use that.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Huh? Where is the problem?

when the deck has left & right RCA input jacks + left & right output jacks , but the reciver only has left & right input jacks

Grab a set of RCA patch cords and plug them in. Use the output jacks on the deck, and the input jacks on the receiver. Should be really simple.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I am thinking the OP wants to record audio from the receiver as well as playing back that audio from the tape deck into the receiver. That would require output jacks on the receiver.

What is the specific make/model of the receiver?

mbland

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
definately no line out RCA jacks . I have now connected the two outputs from the tape deck to the two inputs (CD player) on the receiver and can play cassettes . I haven't checked yet if I can record radio to tape yet ? thanks for your response

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
You will definitely need some form of output jacks on the receiver in order to record audio. If you just want to play back pre-recorded cassettes, then what you have connected so far will work.

I have not seen a receiver without some form of audio out jacks. What is the make/model of the receiver?

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Ah. I didn't think of that. Who records onto cassette anymore?

They should have some sort of headphone jack. If you REALLY want to record onto cassette you can use a headphone to RCA adapter. I don't think you'll hear anything while doing this so it will be be very cludgy to use.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Good point about using the headphone jack. I think the audio would still be outputted to the speakers even with something plugged into the headphone jack.

I used to record from the radio to a TEAC reel to reel tape machine. From time to time they would broadcast full live concerts. I have a Rolling Stones Steel Wheels and a Stevie Ray Vaughn concert that I recorded many years ago. I still have the tape deck, but haven't used it in years. It is more of a "decoration" in my recording studio control room.

mbland

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
.It is a Sony Multi Channel AV Receiver STR-DH770 . Yes I might try the mic. jack to RCA for recording the radio .My local community radio station has some interesting shows with radical music mixes that I really enjoy . I see some of the young musicians are starting to release cassettes again ,not sure if it's because they're cheaper or because of the analogue sound quality ?

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Hmmm, after looking at the pictures of the back of the unit, and scanning through the manual, it doesn't look like it has any line out RCA jacks. You could try the Subwoofer out jacks, but I suspect each of the 2 of them is mono. It does have a HDMI output jack, but that signal wouldn't be recognized by your tape deck as it is digital, not analogue. I think your best bet to record audio from the receiver is going to be a cable that is 1/4" TRS on one end and 2 rca jacks on the other end, connected to your headphone jack on the front of the receiver.

If you really have to record then you could use a speaker to line level converter to provide an input for the cassette. You could connect it to either the headphone jack or the front speaker outputs. Not really simple since the receiver volume control will affect the input level to the cassette deck.
If the receiver had a zone 2 audio output then your could use that.

Solution
Jan 29, 2019

It is an Onkyo TX-NR777