How to hook up DVD and VHS Players to 32 inch Samsung Smart TV

marbrad

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
I have a 32 inch Samsung Smart TV. I have an old Panasonic DVD Player and a Sharp VHS Player. Both work perfectly. My problem is I cannot hook up either of the players to the TV. I was told to purchase an HDMI to RCA Converter which is did. Still cannot get either of them to work. Can anyone out there give me some advice please. Thank You!!

dudio

Admirable
Model of the equipment (especially the TV) would help a lot in looking at options.
Also note that if RCA to HDMI is the only option, then the adapter would need to be "active" in that it is powered/plugged in, and has circuitry that would convert analog to digital. A 'passive' plain old adapter would not work.
Out of curiousity, what other devices do you have hooked to the TV in case one of them can be used to do the job. AV Receiver?

marbrad

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016

If your TV is this one
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-32-class-31-5-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-silver/4380083.p?skuId=4380083
It has a video input. You can connect the VHS av output to it and the DVD av output to the AV input on the VHS deck.
Another way to connect them is to use an external AV switch. That is likely to give you a better picture. I suspect you will find VHS tapes to look pretty bad on an HDTV.
If your TV doesn't have any inputs other than HDMI then you would need an active AV to HDMI converter. If you bought an HDMI to AV cable or converter that won't work. They have to be active and don't work in both directions so you have to the correct one.

marbrad

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016