How to I fix a broken ribbon connector that does not go into a locking clip?

Incredibruin

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015
This was held to a usb header adapter, I wanted to take the whole computer apart to clean up the very gunky sides of the touchpad but I lost my handing trying to pry it out and the ribbon here ripped off, I could do without using that adapter but I probably should have it fixed if I want to give it to someone in the future. What are your recommendations on fixing this? The laptop is out of warranty. The ribbon is upside down in the picture to show where it ripped https://postimg.org/image/ttliiuh1x/

Solution
The PCB appears to be intact and this looks like a generic straight flat cable. If there is slack in the cable, you could cut the damaged part, strip some of the plastic off the end and re-solder. If there is no slack, you'll need to find an identical cable somewhere and replace it.

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
It looks like from the picture of the ribbon cable that it has ripped off the solder lands on the PCB. If this is the case the PCB is damaged. I see the only recourse would be to contact the manufacturer, there is a possibility that you can purchase replacement parts.

InvalidError

Distinguished
The PCB appears to be intact and this looks like a generic straight flat cable. If there is slack in the cable, you could cut the damaged part, strip some of the plastic off the end and re-solder. If there is no slack, you'll need to find an identical cable somewhere and replace it.

Solution