Solved! How to look if the laptop is brand new (hp dv6 6121tx) ?

ogasd

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
hey people i need to know some things before buying dv6 6121tx laptop ..
1) can a reseller provide a costumer with used or opened laptop in a new pack by sealing it again ? and what do they do of the models they show us in showrooms? ( i have seen some electronics re sealed by dealers ) so how do i look for seals and hw many are there can they be re done?

2) i heard of faulty chipsets .. do i need to see in dv6 6121tx serial no if its greater than 108 or lesser than 108 would be ok ?

please provide me with sufficient info on these 2 topics ....... :bounce:

Solution
You need to find a dealer that you trust, or at least, distrust the least.
If it is normal prectice in India to never do returns, then you have a problem.

If a price is too good to be true, it probably is.

You may find that there is no SMART data anyway, because the data collection facilities were never enabled in the first place.

If the pc comes in a carton that has been opened, it is likely that it is a return, or has been used.
But unethical vendors will be able to seal a package so that it looks new.
Look at the bags in which the accessories are packaged. They should be sealed.

One other possibility might be to try to check out the age of the pc by looking up the serial number of the unit.
The serial number will often be...
Yes, you're right about that.
And they're a LOT better at faking packaging and stuff like that.
I don't know what to tell you .. just be careful, make sure you know what the return policy is if the merchandise isn't what it's supposed to be.
Talk to the local people on the ground over there. Find a 'real' HP dealer, not a back alley merchant.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
To access the smart info on the hard drive, Grab a program called SpeedFan, install and run as administrator. Then when opened click on the tabs up top and goto SMART. Id imagine that 10 or less hours is new.

ogasd

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
please tell me more about hard drive how to access it ,, or any other thing i can check instantly without downloading any programme (also it can be factory resetted and it will take some time on starting again ( tell me a process that only happens during first start up and NOT AFTER FACTORY RESETTED ) ... i cannot buy it and then download and then check ... whatever once i take it home the dealer wont deal with me anymore ,, THATS INDIA..

geofelt

Distinguished
You need to find a dealer that you trust, or at least, distrust the least.
If it is normal prectice in India to never do returns, then you have a problem.

If a price is too good to be true, it probably is.

You may find that there is no SMART data anyway, because the data collection facilities were never enabled in the first place.

If the pc comes in a carton that has been opened, it is likely that it is a return, or has been used.
But unethical vendors will be able to seal a package so that it looks new.
Look at the bags in which the accessories are packaged. They should be sealed.

One other possibility might be to try to check out the age of the pc by looking up the serial number of the unit.
The serial number will often be the basis for determinimg the age of electronics for warranty purposes.

Solution

ogasd

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
thanks all of you for helping me ....
@ geofelt ~ u have a good point ,, will look for accessories if they have HP tapes? IF TAPES ARE SIMPLE I WILL LEAVE IT..

AND how can i find the age of laptop by serial no. ? how old can i buy ?

geofelt

Distinguished

^Another good place to look.

If a pc is older, then I figure it is more likely to be used or reconditioned.
A reconditioned unit will normally have a sticker saying so, but, of course, that could have been removed.

ogasd

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
it gets more and more complicating :]
so please DO answer/correct me the 5 questions --------------------
1 will look for serial no. on the box . {what will it tell me ?} it is just a num. *
2 [IMPORTANT] seal of hp on [ALL accessories] and {if there is no hp seal and only simple one should i leave it ?}
3 is there anything special while starting firt time and never again even after resetting ?
4 ok so i guess there will be serial no. on battery so {how to check its make} ?
thaks a lot for your concern ......
5 what power on hours you mentioned geofelt ?

i apologise i asked too many things , but i m just too concerned ..

I think it's time you get off the forums and get on the phone. Call HP customer support and ask them what the return and refund policies are. Ask them if there have been any complaints with what ever vendor store you plan to use.

You're asking too much of us to know about local India conditions and about things most of us have never had to deal with.