How to make MSI GE60 cool better?

Fangovich

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
Hello,
today, we have here somewhat about 30°C, and when I am playing games like Far Cry 4, although I have extra cooling and cooling pad, temperatures of both CPU and GPU raise up to 90°C. How to make cooling better, what do you think is maximum RPM that this laptops fans can handle (on max cooling boost is 6000 RPM). Thank you.
Laptop: MSI GE60 2pe Apache Pro (GTX 860m, i5 4210h, 8GB RAM)

Solution
Cooling is affected by the ambient temperature. The higher the temperature, the less effective the laptop can cool itself. You can attempt to replace the thermal paste with a better quality thermal paste like Arctic MX4, but that means you need to take your laptop apart, clean out all traces of the current thermal paste and apply new thermal paste, then put your laptop back together. Most people do not like doing that because if you do not know what you are doing your laptop may not boot up. Plus you are still limited by the ambient temperature so instead of maybe a 5°C drop in temp you may only get a 2°C decrease.

The Core i5-4210h is a pretty hot running CPU; it consumes the same amount of power as a quad core i7 CPU. Probably the...
Cooling is affected by the ambient temperature. The higher the temperature, the less effective the laptop can cool itself. You can attempt to replace the thermal paste with a better quality thermal paste like Arctic MX4, but that means you need to take your laptop apart, clean out all traces of the current thermal paste and apply new thermal paste, then put your laptop back together. Most people do not like doing that because if you do not know what you are doing your laptop may not boot up. Plus you are still limited by the ambient temperature so instead of maybe a 5°C drop in temp you may only get a 2°C decrease.

The Core i5-4210h is a pretty hot running CPU; it consumes the same amount of power as a quad core i7 CPU. Probably the best thing to do is disable Turbo Boost which limits the maximum speed to 2.9GHz (or lower). The following video shows you how to disable Turbo Boost in your advanced power setting by changing the maximum power state to 99%. That works for Windows 7, but it is different for Windows 8 so you need to do some guess work. I disabled Turbo Boost on the i5-4200u by using 68%, anything above that and Turbo Boost kicks in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp1lU8VgLfc

Solution