How to manually create recovery dvd from recovery partition

wthoutfail

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I have a sony vaio vpcs131fm. I was booting it with bt5 but recently wanted to just go back to the computers factory settings and start all over again. Some where with the grub loader or the bt5 installation my vaio recovery options stopped working. I have tried the F1o option when i turn on the computer but the only recovery option that shows up is the windows one. Vaio care will not automatically start the recovery, or let me make a set of recovery dvd's. I used partition wizard and it clearly says I have over 10 gig's of recovery storage on a partition on my drive. Can someone point me in the right direction. the picture below is what is listed in my recovery partition

4ikad2.jpg
[/img]

wthoutfail

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I think i know what your talking about. so this program will sort the files in my recovery partition into a bootable .iso for a couple of dvd's? Also running the virtual machine is for running the lunix based environment in a window while i am still in windows right...

Pinhedd

Distinguished
PartedMagic is a complete and self contained operating system which runs from a CD/DVD. It will let you access the filesystem so that you can backup any data or attempt a repair job. However, trying to repair a botched boot sequence is often more trouble than it's worth.

There's really no such thing as a "Windows recovery CD". The best that you can do is download a new install CD from Microsoft's website or use an existing one to attempt recovery. Installing Windows 7 on top of Windows 7 is fairly safe and will repair any damage caused by a botched dual boot. It will back up anything it would normally overwrite

The windows "recovery" partition that you are looking at is a self contained micro installation that you can boot into when a problem with Windows prevents it from loading completely. It contains a few tools such as a memory tester and repair console and nothing else. It is not an actual Windows installation and while it may be useful for repairing damage done to your windows installation, it is not automatic.

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

I have the same laptop and can tell you that it is a full system install partition and not a mico installation. It will wipe the main partition and install everything that came with the system. I ran into the same problem after I installed Linux and if I remember correctly I had to use diskpart to set the recovery partition active to get it to boot again. It has been a while so I can't be 100% sure. And I no long even have that partition on my drive as I removed all of them and installed a standalone copy of Windows 7 did not what all the crap ware that ships with pc's.

steyge

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
very big thanks to wthoutfail's first post. the mention of the F10-key at start-up did it for me, which i didn't know would work. that brought me directly to the vaio care center of this 10 GB "recovery"-partition, where i could format my "C:"-partition, where windows 7 (64bit) was installed on, ..and installed a fresh installation right afterwards.

(at first i also wanted to try to burn this recovery-partition on a dvd and then install the OS from there, (because i couldn't find the windows installation dvd or windows recovery dvd or whatever..))