How to Prolong Toshiba C840 Battery Life?

Damien_6

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Hello everyone,

I use this Toshiba Satellite laptop all day, from 6:30 in the morning until 5 pm. I then let it sleep until 7 pm and resume for a couple more hours before shutting it down.

I use the laptop to write and watch some YouTube videos (no video games, photo editing or other tasks).

My question is: would it be better to do partial charge and discharge (80-40 is what I'm doing now) repeatedly, or should I just do the 80-40 once and leave it plugged in?

I am worried that repeated charging discharging might shorten the battery life.

Thanks

Thanks.

Solution
Allowing it to discharge frequently is good for the battery under light load.
Keeping the charger connected all of the time topping up the battery shortens the life of the battery - note most disagree with me on this ... stating that modern software drives the charging process for the laptop ... and that the software is the best judge ... I call bullshit on this.
You should not completely flatten the Li battery though ... this is not good for it.

I charge mine and remove them for extended periods when on mains.

I have 7 laptops here and heaps of batteries ... I think constantly charging the crap out of them on mains is just stupid ... and laptop manufacturers are just cleaning up on replacement batteries ...
Allowing it to discharge frequently is good for the battery under light load.
Keeping the charger connected all of the time topping up the battery shortens the life of the battery - note most disagree with me on this ... stating that modern software drives the charging process for the laptop ... and that the software is the best judge ... I call bullshit on this.
You should not completely flatten the Li battery though ... this is not good for it.

I charge mine and remove them for extended periods when on mains.

I have 7 laptops here and heaps of batteries ... I think constantly charging the crap out of them on mains is just stupid ... and laptop manufacturers are just cleaning up on replacement batteries ...

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Solution