How to recharge voice recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuttaGas

Estimable
May 21, 2016
On eBay, I bought a dictaphone / voice recorder ("8GB Digital LED Audio Voice Recorder USB Telephone Dictaphone MP3 Player BLACK") (See photos at above link.)

This device's battery isn't replaceable, but it is rechargeable, so I will need to recharge it periodically.

That should be straight-forward enough - just plug it into a computer USB port via the included cable. And in fact, the merchant that sold it to me confirms that that is how it is done.

But it doesn't appear to be working. The recharging process never finishes. And this device is actually a replacement for an identical one that had the same problem. And with that one, the device died after a few weeks.

It's no good trying to read the owner's manual. This device is manufactured by a Chinese company, Lu YinBi, and the manual is written in English so poor that it really isn't intelligable.

So it would help to know the model number of this device, so I can find out how to recharge it with certainty. But the box it came in identifies this product only as "IC Recorder". No model number is given.

The only clarification I've come up with is that a Google image search seems to indicate this device is a "linear PCM/IC recorder".

By any chance does anyone recognize this device, and know its model number (or other identifying information)?

Thanks for any help.

Solution
If it's not working as intended, that's a warranty concern. USB ports on all newer computers will supply sufficient charge.
However, just to be on the safe side before a warranty return, try it in a mains USB charging adapter and use another cable to be sure.
Also, when it is recharging, see if it gets hot. If it does, unplug immediately and it shows the manufacturer is using dodgy components.
Ask for a refund,

Ruggo181

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
If it's not working as intended, that's a warranty concern. USB ports on all newer computers will supply sufficient charge.
However, just to be on the safe side before a warranty return, try it in a mains USB charging adapter and use another cable to be sure.
Also, when it is recharging, see if it gets hot. If it does, unplug immediately and it shows the manufacturer is using dodgy components.
Ask for a refund,

Solution

OuttaGas

Estimable
May 21, 2016
>USB ports on all newer computers will supply sufficient charge.

Oh, it's charging all right.

>try it in a mains USB charging adapter and use another cable to be sure.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mains", but thanks to your tip, I looked online for a USB charging adapter with the right connector for my recorder (USB Mini-b 5-pin), but I haven't found one so far.

>when it is recharging, see if it gets hot. If it does, unplug immediately and it shows the manufacturer is using dodgy components.
Ask for a refund,

No, the recorder doesn't get hot when it's recharging.

Try to charge that device with an USB charger from a phone / tablet. If it does not charge after that either, dispose it properly (not in the ordinary garbage).

I hate to say that, but when you buy a gizmo "loaded with features" for twenty bucks with free shipping, you get what you pay for. For a little bit more money, you could get something which is still produced in China, but with a brand name, readable manual, and support.

Ruggo181

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

So it is only partially charging? How long does it work before going flat?

A mains charger is like these http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/usb-wall-charger-au
The reason i said to try a different cable is on rare occasions the cable may be damaged(not visible), so I was trying to eliminate that as part of the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.