How to remove Search.Yahoo from chrome (only)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supmah100

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017
So the problem is pretty straight forward... I have got something on my PC that redirects me when I make searches in the top bar to Yahoo! (search.yahoo). I have tried many full PC scans. F-Secure, AVG, Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, Bitdefender and even Windows 10 Defender. Probably more as Chromes own tools. But none have found anything harmful... I've removed Chrome totaly and ALL of its folders and files after uninstalling it, then I've run scans, found nothing. Rebooted, installed Chrome and yet it redirects me to Yahoo... This problem is only on one of the four browsers on my PC (Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Explorer) and that being Chrome. I don't know what to do else as nothing seems to work, I don't wanna reset my PC either if possible as I've got some pretty important stuff on it and ALOT meaning a pain to back everything up. Send me a message if you guys need more details!

I've also reset Chromes settings a few times and removed the stock search engine and so on making it only Google as standard.

Solution
Conventional methods tried? Let's go through thorough ones.

Before restarting chrome, make sure your use Chrome cleanup tool and completely remove Chrome manually. Both in Win Key + R -> %appdata% and remove any Chrome data you find. Afterward, go to registries, HKey -> Software -> Chrome and remove all of the signatures.

1. Restart your PC in “Safe mode with networking.”
2. Install and run RKill to kill malicious processes and services
3. Check your Programs and features and see if there are any new recently installed programs that you don’t recognize. If there are, remove them.
4. Check your task manager for any suspicious processes, if found, identify folders and try to remove them manually. Or just "Win key + R" and type...

tibyannie

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

Could you please let us know the steps followed or link to that page? I am also having this issue. Thank you.

rdonald8

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017

rdonald8

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
Hi i had this problem ,i downloaded Zemana Antimalware free trial and it scanned and then i picked the programs i wanted to Delete worked fine Google chrome back

RiversideRepeat

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

YESSSSS! This is the best fix yet. It's a bat file. Right click, run as administrator and three seconds later it's fixed.

This latest is a really bad one. No program in the programs list to remove, and it even disables the settings in Chrome so you CANNOT change the default engine OR remove it at all! Rotten to the core whoever put this one together. Anyway, thanks for the solution! I was about to start running deep scans I do not have the time for.

:bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS