Solved! How to remove vista from my xp laptop

G

Hello,
My Sony VAIO came with Windows XP. I upgraded to Windows Vista and it has run poorly ever since. How can I remove Vista from my laptop? It did not come with recovery disks but I have purchased a Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade. What do you recommend? Thanks for your help. My laptop will barely run now.

Thanks,

Crazy in Arizona

Solution
If you start the install process from within Windows you don't need to provide a "previous" version of Windows. But, you cannot do a "clean install" that way, I do believe.

Easiest thing is to grab a copy of 98 or ME or borrow one and have it handy for when the GUI install asks for it.

Edit: actually you "could" do a clean install by starting withing windows if you install to a different partition and then use a partition editor (GPARTED) later on to rejigger things and activate the correct partition. . but be careful with drive letters. I really don't recommend this, but if you have your data backed up, there's no harm in it.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
If you start the install process from within Windows you don't need to provide a "previous" version of Windows. But, you cannot do a "clean install" that way, I do believe.

Easiest thing is to grab a copy of 98 or ME or borrow one and have it handy for when the GUI install asks for it.

Edit: actually you "could" do a clean install by starting withing windows if you install to a different partition and then use a partition editor (GPARTED) later on to rejigger things and activate the correct partition. . but be careful with drive letters. I really don't recommend this, but if you have your data backed up, there's no harm in it.

Solution