Solved! How to run cat 6 for HDMI

billyferguson321

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
I am Remodellings my home I want to do away with all coax cable and run 2-3 cat6 cables to each bed rooms (witch is 4) and To our family room and office... I'm going to but ubiquiti products for my network I'm want to buy a nas for My business and my home and hook that into it but rite now I would like to know how to receive H DMI in all of my bedrooms office and family room also I would like to know about audio and video in all of the rooms in which type of wires in equipment I should use for that in to be able to control my lights in my home bottom line just turn my home into a smart home Every way that I can and if not at least prepare it now while I have all this drywall off my walls and ceiling ..

I saw something about A matrix Box for hdmi? Or should I use Fiber optic cabling?? Thanks guys

Solution
Wow that's a lot of different tech standards to sort through... 1st Fiber optic cable isn't necessary and any cable that's professionally installed will be installed with out the heads terminated till the end of the run, which would mean a $10k piece of gear just to install the heads and test the cable so no you won't be needing fiber optic cable. I'll tell you what I have and that should be enough to give you a baseline. I have a TP-Link Router with a built-in 1 Gigabit 4 port switch feeding a 24port 1 Gigabit switch, this in turn is feeding a Synology NAS (as well as multiple Wireless Access points). I have multiple locations outfitted with Cat 5e Ethernet cable, all my TV's 4K or 1080p are connected to the network via Cat 5e...
Mar 19, 2018
Wow that's a lot of different tech standards to sort through... 1st Fiber optic cable isn't necessary and any cable that's professionally installed will be installed with out the heads terminated till the end of the run, which would mean a $10k piece of gear just to install the heads and test the cable so no you won't be needing fiber optic cable. I'll tell you what I have and that should be enough to give you a baseline. I have a TP-Link Router with a built-in 1 Gigabit 4 port switch feeding a 24port 1 Gigabit switch, this in turn is feeding a Synology NAS (as well as multiple Wireless Access points). I have multiple locations outfitted with Cat 5e Ethernet cable, all my TV's 4K or 1080p are connected to the network via Cat 5e Ethernet cable for their source Network stream from the NAS or just Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Cat 6 is fine to use for your network (5e was more affordable when I wired the house years ago). As for "I would like to know about audio and video in all of the rooms"... is what ever you choose, a Smart TV with a Ethernet cable will serve you fine, unless you still have a Cable TV provider in which case you can't scrap that coax as it will be needed to run the Cable Box.

As for "which type of wires in equipment I should use for that in to be able to control my lights in my home bottom line just turn my home into a smart home" That really depends on your needs. most of the Smart Home wall switches will rely on a wireless connection and can be controlled by Alexa, Google, or Apple (I go with Alexa 1st as it more support, Google is a choice as well. I would ignore Apple as they are too caught up in the "walled garden" to be flexible and affordable.

Ubiquiti is a great way to go for a wireless AP (I have one as we speak) but I wouldn't build my whole network off them as they are extremely over priced for basic components like Routers and network switches. Not to mentioned Network configuration can be complex and they are not as home owner friendly as other companies, I'm in IT and they are great and I can set their stuff up fine, but you have allot of stuff to learn already. Good luck

Solution