how to save dvd's to hard drive

cyberrich

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I've got several burned dvd's containing rare stuff that I'm trying to back up to my hard drive. One or two were easy, as they are single files, but several have 2 files, audio_TS and video_TS. Do I have to convert them to an avi before I can back them up in on my hard drive. Is there a free converter online I can use, or should I buy one? How do I save these once they've been converted? Many thanks.

cyberrich

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm backing everything up, so I can replace the discs when they eventually become unreadable. How do I burn a new disc from the saved video_TS file on my hard drive. I've never done this before, so I'm hoping it's easy! Thanks.

te100

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004

When you open you burner software like nero or ashampoo you will select dvd movie from folder

lizlee

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
You don't have to save it to avi or other format. Your burned DVD is probably without any copy protection, so you can directly copy and paste the audio_TS and video_TS to your hard drive for backup and then you can play these DVD folders in Windows Media player or VLC media player later. audio_TS and video_TS are two components that DVD contains, the audio_TS contains all audiotracks of the DVD movie, so that you can select a preferred language. But for commercial DVDs with protection, you can use some professional tool to decrypt the protection and backup with origianl quality.

cyberrich

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks for the replies! I've tried backing up a few dvd's to my laptop hard drive. If I copy roughly 20 of these to my hard drive, each one lasting 2 hours or so, will this slow my laptop down a lot? Also when I've downloaded the video_TS to my hard drive, there's sometimes as many as 18 different files there, and it doesn't copy it seamlessly, each file seems to end midway through something, or some files are repeats of each other. I haven't copied and pasted as has been suggested, I've been downloading the disc to the hard drive which takes ages. Can I ask what info I copy and paste and where to? I thought you had to download it properly, but cutting and pasting sounds a lot quicker! I think I can burn cd's with the laptop if I need to replace a disc but how can I find out if I can burn dvd's. I've got the Samsung notebook, so if anyone can help that would be great. Many thanks.

te100

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004

All those files are the chapters . Its not going to slow your system down by having them on there, they will take up space might be a good idea to defrag after your done copying. If you copy and paste just create a folder somewhere C drive or my documents as for burning look on the drive there should be a dvdrw logo or will say dvd rewritable if it does burn dvds

cyberrich

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks. Do I need to keep all the chapters in documents? I've noticed one chapter of one disc contained all the data, while other chapters were repeats containing just part of the whole disc. Can I burn a new disc from just the one chapter that contains the whole programme, or do I need to keep all chapters that are downloaded? Thanks.