How to set up a pair of monitors correctly?

Ricardob

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
Hi,

I have been looking around google for a a long time but i havent found my answer. Please I need the help if anyone knows how to do this.

Basically, I have apir of 2 rokit 5's that I want to hook up to my desktop. I dont know how to do it. I thought it was easy as just using the 3.5mm jack on the desktop and connecting the two rca to each one of the monitors, but it seems it gives me a buzzing/static noise when i play or dont play music, etc.

Am i doing something wrong? do I need anything else to fix this issue.

Tests done:

1. Connected headphones to the desktop jack (green/3.5mm) and i dont get static or anything.
2. connected the 3.5mm end of the rca to my phone i dont get static.

Please help, this noise is so annoying i dont want to buy an extra home audio system.

ien2222

Distinguished
Hey Ricardob,

It sounds like you have a ground loop issue. Unfortunately I'm not really sure on what the solution is, I've been lucky enough to never have had that problem before so I haven't researched it.

I know there's some people here who can help you out, but I figured I could point you in the right direction and give you something to a search on.

Ricardob

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
Yes I have read that, but still dont understand how to resolve it or if in fact that is my problem. I have tried here, tomshardware..none seems to answer my questions

A ground loop doesn't sound like static, it sounds like a constant hum or buzz. A ground loop is when you have more than one ground connection between two or more audio components. In most cases it is a common AC power ground and audio connection ground. You can try lifting the ground of the speaker AC cord or using a ground loop transformer inline of the audio connection
https://jet.com/product/detail/352cb1ba06e14245b8aa3d39e87fa08f?jcmp=pla:ggl:vehicles_parts_a3:vehicle_parts_accessories_motor_vehicle_electronics_motor_vehicle_a/v_players_in-dash_systems_a3_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=1e153f5b-9d7b-ac88-baad-000057005f34&gclid=CM6nyPfL1sgCFVQYHwodwAoOUw
Here is a comprehensive paper on ground loops and how to resolve them
http://web.mit.edu/~jhawk/tmp/p/EST016_Ground_Loops_handout.pdf