Jkray97

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
I recently acquired a set of logitec Z506 5.1 surround speakers. I have an MSI 970 Gaming motherboard and am using the onboard audio. How do I set this up properly? I've noticed it's never truly surround for anything I do at all. But when I run the windows test all 5 speakers plus the sub work.

Solution
1) If the Windows test is working it should be setup properly.

2) You should also use the software for your audio solution (if onboard that's likely Realtek HD software from realtek. It's also from motherboard site but Realtek site is usually up to date).
http://www.realtek.com.tw/

You probably need the file with THESE DETAILS (can't link directly likely): R2.76 2015/4/21 113999k

3) Are you SURE it's not really surround? There are plenty of programs that it's hard to tell.

Do you mean that the REAR SPEAKERS have no sound, or have only the EXACT same sound as the front speakers?

Summary:
Again though, in my experience, if Windows "Playback Devices" are correctly demonstrating all speakers working then you're setup correctly...

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
In the Control Panel, select Sound. From that panel, select your Speakers, and then select Properties. On the Advanced tab, you should see a drop down list towards the bottom, and at the bottom of the list is a DTS (5.1 Surround Sound) entry. Select that and then click APPLY.

1) If the Windows test is working it should be setup properly.

2) You should also use the software for your audio solution (if onboard that's likely Realtek HD software from realtek. It's also from motherboard site but Realtek site is usually up to date).
http://www.realtek.com.tw/

You probably need the file with THESE DETAILS (can't link directly likely): R2.76 2015/4/21 113999k

3) Are you SURE it's not really surround? There are plenty of programs that it's hard to tell.

Do you mean that the REAR SPEAKERS have no sound, or have only the EXACT same sound as the front speakers?

Summary:
Again though, in my experience, if Windows "Playback Devices" are correctly demonstrating all speakers working then you're setup correctly. Perhaps you need to look at more software/games or even find examples in the Realtek (or sound card) software that can demonstrate surround mode is working.

Solution

Cristi72

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014

Hello,

You will experience true surround only in games with 5.1 support (check Settings within the game), when watching BDs and DVDs with 5.1 audio tracks (the real disks, not the ripped versions, which came usually only in Stereo), or having some 5.1 DD or DTS audio tracks. Realtek's Virtual Surround feature is working OK if you just want to hear the sound from all speakers, but it cannot give you a proper surround experience.