How to speed up sony vegas?????

Outlaw1198

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
ok i am just wondering which part is the part that speeds up the rendering of a video because i have a resanable computer i will put in he spes i a sec but it is still taking 3 times the lenth of the video to render.

cpu intelcor i5 250k @3.3GHz
motherboard: gigabyte Z86P-DS3
GPU: Gigabyte windforce nividia gtx 670 2gb (oveclocked)
PSU: corsair gs600
RAM: corsair 12 gb vengeance

so what part is holding he endering back do you know thanks

Sunius

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Depends on render settings and sony vegas version. Though, I bet it's CPU (because of the way you mentioned how long it takes to render). Overclocking to 4.3-4.5 GHz would increase rendering speed by 30%. Changing rendering settings could as well.

Outlaw1198

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

i tjink the renering etting as are fine so i think it will be the cpu

Sunius

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Well, if you set it to render using GPU it would render around 10 times faster :). Not sure the version you have supports the feature though. I know the latest and the year before that version does.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
The majority of video rending can be handled by the CPU just fine...and I don't think that sending the work to the GPU would increase performance 10x. Lol. The read/write speeds of your harddrive also plays a large factor when it comes to video rendering in applications like this.

I'd recommend getting a heatsink for your CPU and overclocking it, and also getting a SSD; they're pretty cheap these days. Total cost would be under $150 and offer a considerable decrease in rendering times. Anything more than that and you're looking at buying a new mobo, CPU, etc.

SSD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791
Heatsink - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Sunius

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

Actually it would. GPUs are much faster at parallel processing when compared to CPUs.

Not really. If I fraps in game content of 10 minutes, and it renders the same video for 40 minutes, it's definitely not hard drive issue, as it took only 10 minutes to capture the content in the first place.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
That may be, but that doesn't mean his/her computer will increase performance by 1000%. There would be other, very restricting bottlenecks in the system that wouldn't allow such an increase.

And yes, when you render a video, that video has to be read from the HDD, where its originally stored, encoded within the program and then rewritten to the drive in its new format. So yes, there an a huge involvement when it comes to rendering video and harddrive speeds.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Is the Sony Vegas software installed on the SSD? And are the files you're using within that Vegas stored on the SSD?

Outlaw1198

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Yes sony vegas is stored on the sdd but the files are stored on a different usb 2.0 external drive to try deacrese the read write times

Sleepyhead Media

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Allocate about 10GB of that ram to Sony Vegas, by default sony vegas only uses around 950MB of your RAM to render.
and that can slow things down dramatically, to allocate more go to Options, Preferences, Video and Change Dynamic RAM Preview MAX to 10GB or 10240MB.
if it's still bothering you after this, you can turn GPU acceleration towards your GTX 670 by going through Options again to Video and find
GPU Acceleration of Video Processing.

''now i recommend not using GPU acceleration, simply because of BUGS many people are currently have with it, the RAM increase should do you wonders in terms of allowing Sony Vegas to breath more when rendering''

Did I read this correctly, the files are stored on USB 2.0 external drives? I could be wrong but wouldn't that slow down the process a bit? Do you have room in your computer to add a second HDD? I don't use Vegas, I use Premiere Pro, so forgive me if I'm way off on this. I have read in editing systems it is best to have the editing software installed on one drive (OS drive), the files stored on a data drive and then render to a third drive (second data drive) and have set up my system that way.

Outlaw1198

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

I changed it soon after and got 2 more internal hard drives

bishoplord

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

This may be the culprit. I just upgraded from a GTX 460 to a GTX 760 and Cuda is no longer supported in Vegas. It's not that it's not supported, it the GTX 6 & 7 series that Cuda is not being enabled. Cuda works just fine with the older GTX 460 card, though. And to calmstateofmind, the GPU rendering is far superior to CPU rendering. Even with my i7 2600k, rendering a video is a little bit slower than real time - meaning, a 30 minute video will take about 30 minutes, where as using Nvidia Cuda to do the processing, it'll take around 5 minutes or less.

Here's a video I made comparing Intel processing vs Nvidia Cuda vs Movavi Turbo plugin in my video converter program: CLICK HERE