Solved! How to stop the text bar filling with *******

Jan 22, 2021
I have a Toshiba Satelite S50t-A Laptop.
This isn't happening all the time but when it does i cant log onto the computer as the password is filled with dots, if i backspace it just fill u again, if i am able to get into the desktop the search bar & internet bars also have the same problem, i have run the McAfee total protect so many times to see if there,s a virus but nothing comes up so i am hoping someone on here maybe able to help solve this problem.

TIA Sam290471.

Solution
The following applies to Windows 10, but may be relevant to earlier versions of Windows.

Sounds like maybe the font that is being used is no longer supported. When you are able to get into the system, open the Registry Editor
WARNING! DO NOT MAKE OR SAVE ANY CHANGES!

Expand the tree: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
Scroll down to the entries for Segoe UI and see what the data shows for these entries. They shouls start with "segoe" and end with "ttf"

-Wolf sends
The following applies to Windows 10, but may be relevant to earlier versions of Windows.

Sounds like maybe the font that is being used is no longer supported. When you are able to get into the system, open the Registry Editor

Expand the tree: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
Scroll down to the entries for Segoe UI and see what the data shows for these entries. They shouls start with "segoe" and end with "ttf"

-Wolf sends

Solution
Jan 21, 2021
I never heard of the font issue, So i am just as curious as you prolly. So by all means check into that. I am new here and would love to hear how that works out. If that is not the problem , To me the problem sounds like a stuck key. I say that because of the " if i backspace it just fill u again, " Anyhow if nothing is noticeably stuck. I would dissconect the keyboard ribbon and boot up with no KB or an external KB and see if the problem still exists.

OTG

Jan 22, 2021

-Wolf sends
Thanks Wolfshadw for this info, but thinking now that its possibly what OTG123 has said about the keyboard as i have to use an external keyboard as the keyboard doesnt work properly and it does this on its own and its not always the same character.
i will try disconnecting the keyboard and see if that works.
If it does i will get a new keyboard for it.

Thanks again.

Sam290471.

Jan 22, 2021
I never heard of the font issue, So i am just as curious as you prolly. So by all means check into that. I am new here and would love to hear how that works out. If that is not the problem , To me the problem sounds like a stuck key. I say that because of the " if i backspace it just fill u again, " Anyhow if nothing is noticeably stuck. I would dissconect the keyboard ribbon and boot up with no KB or an external KB and see if the problem still exists.

OTG
Thanks OTG your suggestion was the problem so will order a new keyboard but for the time being a usb keyboard will do but i can now log in and access everything i need to on the laptop. Thanks for all suggestions.

Cheers Sam290471.

Thanks OTG your suggestion was the problem so will order a new keyboard but for the time being a usb keyboard will do but i can now log in and access everything i need to on the laptop. Thanks for all suggestions.

Cheers Sam290471.
Another way you can say, "Thank You" is to award OTG the Best Answer award. You can do this by just clicking the Trophy Icon to the left of his name:
54WcS25.jpg

Wolfshadw