How To: Turn A Netbook Into A Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.

adbat

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Typo on the first page it says software where it should hardware.

Good article to bad no 12" netbooks are fully supported

adbat

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Typo on the first page it says software where it should hardware.

Good article to bad no 12" netbooks are fully supported

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I tried for ages to get OSx onto my desktop PC and eventually found EmpireEFI which made the process a LOT easier.
http://prasys.info/tag/empire-efi/

Not sure whether it would work for a netbook but might be worth a look.

G

forget about linux.. you will never use that if you have mac os :)

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Yeah right forget linux, why care about actual productivity when it's the ride there you care about, pay money for an inferior kernel and then more money for products by getting using OSX, then play in Apple's sandpit forever while they suck you dry

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
No mention as to wether or not sleep works.. a function lost on most netbook/notebooks.
As to why not 10.6.3, the actual version max is 10.6.1, as they deliberately screwed the atom processor as of 10.6.2. There are however modded kernels that can be used to circumnavigate this if you're very determined. Also a much speedier way to do this would be to pull the HD and connect it to the functioning mac (Hackintosh or not, as long as USB works) and remount the HD without the noowners option. you can then do everything before booting the netbook, eliminating a few steps. While I understand its fun to play with, I dont see the point of OS X on a netbook. The OS was never designed to run on something with such low horse power, and it gets quite ragged after running very few apps, not to mention the general inefficiency of the OS at dealing with flash and what not.. you'd get a much better "Experience" for doing the various tasks on Windows since it will make good use of what little hardware these devices have, plus all the hardware will function "Properly".
As to a desktop hackintosh, pretty much ANY intel board with an ALC88x sound chip, Realtek 8xxx NIC, and modern nvidia / ATI graphics card can be made to function perfectly.
My Current build is:
Gigabyte X58-UD3R, i7 @ 4.2ghz, 12GB ram, nvidia GTX 260.
Get a 100% functional mac out of that using stock kexts..Updatable straight from apple with little fuss (Gotta update or remove sleepenabler.kext before a OS version change is all)
Absolute easiest way to dual boot with a desktop is multiple hard drives and just use chameleons selection.To dual boot on this netbook you'll need to resize the partition then install whatever OS, THEN reload chameleon to get the boot loader back. In linux you can have it install the boot loader on the partition only, meaning it should be good to go with just the chameleon loader..

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
The only reason to do this sounds like the same reason people make case mods out of things that were never meant to house computer systems.

If you're looking for ease of use and don't want Windows then I'd say go with the Ubuntu Netbook version and call it a day. Otherwise if you're doing it just to show you can, nice job.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
THanks for you post thekurrgan! So I take it that if you use a system with an AMD CPU and an ATI GPU, then you are screwed if you want to run OSX on it, or doesn't run very well or ...?

xnashx

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I think it would be better just to buy a macbook than going through these steps but if your a total geek. Go ahead and proceed. If you done this before you can probably make a few extra bucks providing your services.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I was actually thinking about trying OSX in a virtual machine. The best part of using a VM is that not much damage would happen should something go wrong...

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]THanks for you post thekurrgan! So I take it that if you use a system with an AMD CPU and an ATI GPU, then you are screwed if you want to run OSX on it, or doesn't run very well or ...?[/citation]
If the ATI GPU is of a certain generation you're screwed, AMD you'd need a modded kernel.. search voodoo kernel or hit up google for insanelymac -- They have great guides there. However in most modern AMD systems its the chipset thats the show stopper or at least severe bug maker.. Snow Leopard is design for the recent line of intel chipsets (Generally speaking, any they made on the LGA775 platform) and a specific line of Nvidia ones (9000 series) -- AMD now uses their own chipset, so this makes it challenging. As for the VM, I've had limited success myself, but have not really given it a good effort. VMWare workstation would probably be the best bet, as it supports OSX Server natively, but I'm not well versed on that product outside Vsphere / Fusion.

G

The Asus 1201n is a fully supported 12" Netbook, as well as its newer brother, the 1215n.

G

Is this guide encouraging users to break Apple's licensing of it's Operating System? And why would anyone go to these lengths when you could just stick a USB key with Windows 7 on it into the netbook, have everything work first time and have little on going support issues? Nice experiment but for my girlfriends laptop I'd rather use a supported HW & OS combination, keeps the headaches to a minimum!

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
You can't use the 10.6.3 because it's kernel dropped support for intel atom's arch or something like that. I think it just didn't run on atom's anymore, because apple got fed up of people using it on something other than their hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.