How-to: Turn Bedroom into the Perfect Office

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
OMG look at this totally new and innovative idea guys! This has NEVER been done before, EVER!

UP NEXT: a new kind of bread that comes in SLICES!!!

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Yes I'm sure all you anonymous posters on a tech website are complete chick magnets....

Seriously, drop the alpha male crap. No one cares.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
We need a rating system for the articles too. Not just the comments. This one really deserves four thumbs down.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
This violates nearly all the tenets of fung shui. I would never EVER do something like this. I absolutely HATE electronics in the bedroom. The TV and Playstation are in the living room. The computer is in the home office. IMO The bedroom should be a place of peace and solace and rest, and is the worst possible place in the home for TV's, electronics, computers, and work. Just my 2 cents.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]This violates nearly all the tenets of fung shui. I would never EVER do something like this. I absolutely HATE electronics in the bedroom. The TV and Playstation are in the living room. The computer is in the home office. IMO The bedroom should be a place of peace and solace and rest, and is the worst possible place in the home for TV's, electronics, computers, and work. Just my 2 cents.[/citation]
I should add, they failed to put this into context in their article. The boy at the desk looks pretty young, so maybe this is a bedroom in his parents home? Or a college dorm room perhaps? Something like this does make sense in a space-restricted situation. But the article failed to say whether or not this was the case.

ukgooey

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
[citation][nom]SevenVirtues[/nom]More importantly, putting spotlights under the mattress for this "office" is possibly as big a fire hazard as a match next to a bucket of petrol.[/citation]
Seconded. These lights can get extremely hot, regardless of voltage. When fitting in a loft you need to keep them away from insulation. I hope he took this into consideration when he built it.

Besides that, I think it's a good job. And it is tech news; it's not like he used the space under the bed for storing his stamp collection. I could build this for my son so he has a proper 'workstation' and will still have lots of space left.
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]This violates nearly all the tenets of fung shui. I would never EVER do something like this. I absolutely HATE electronics in the bedroom. The TV and Playstation are in the living room. The computer is in the home office. IMO The bedroom should be a place of peace and solace and rest, and is the worst possible place in the home for TV's, electronics, computers, and work. Just my 2 cents.[/citation]
This is true. I blame technology in the bedroom (including TV's) for my appalling sleep pattern during my teens and twenties. I followed advice similar to this and now I sleep well and my quality of life has improved dramatically.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]I should add, they failed to put this into context in their article. The boy at the desk looks pretty young, so maybe this is a bedroom in his parents home? Or a college dorm room perhaps? Something like this does make sense in a space-restricted situation. But the article failed to say whether or not this was the case.[/citation]

He looks highschool-college aged, and he must be...that stack of energy drinks would give anyone over 30 a heart attack xD

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]After you hit puberty, we will see if you still feel that way.[/citation]
After you get married, we will see if you feel that way.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Alright, now I'm pissed. I did this SAME thing about 4 years ago with a bunk bed. Albeit wasn't nearly as flashy as this.. it was just as practical AND I had dual monitors. It also kept my bed nice and warm!! (CRT's) The EXACT reason I did it was to save space. It worked perfectly. I think I had one up on this guy though, I had an L shaped configuration which gave me some desk space to my left to use with ordinary ceiling light. Man I wish I had pictures of it.

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Did something similar when I was in high school, I had a little room and I had to fit my bed and computer desk into one. Damn you have to turn on the light if you wanted to go on the floor otherwise you would hurt yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.