How To Unlock AMD 4 cores? [x2 560]

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007

Actually, when I unlocked my PhII 550BE to a quad I could run it under-volted -0.125v --- dropped my total system load at the wall by nearly 33%

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
well it has it here. on that link!

Get great computing performance with MSI's 870-G45 AMD motherboard. Based on AMD 770 chipset, this ATX form-factor board is designed to support the latest AM3 Phenom II including X6, Athlon II and Sempron 100 Series processors. With MSI’s OC Genie and Unlock CPU Core technology, you can easily dig the most potential out of your CPU for extra performance.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
If AMD has a quad core that has two bad cores, they will disable two cores and sell it as a dual core.

If market demand requires more dual core phenoms than AMD has bad quad cores, they will disable two cores on a good quad core or disable two cores on a quad core that has only one bad core.

When you get one of those, you can unlock it to a working dual core or quad core.

sometimes you have to increase the voltage to keep it stable. This means that the cores aren't exactly bad, but they are not quite up to spec.

So in the end, just so you know, it might unlock to a quad and it might not. But if it doesn't, try unlocking it to a triple core.

DJready

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Another question tha just zapped my mind. lol

If you unlock additional core to 3 core or lets just say we unlock it to 4 core.

I'm assuming a cpu will generate more heat. Will the stock AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition CPU Heatsink be able to handle it?

Does anyone have experience with these cpu's unlocked with stock heatsink?

My friend isn't into overclocking so there will be no overclocking, we just wanna unloack the 4 cores and thats it.

DJready

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks. But if by chance we get it unlocked will the stock hetsink be able to handle 4 cores? (will the temps be acceptable)

since we are on tight budget and really whouldn't like to buy new cpu heatsink if it's not necessary.

We wont overclock just try to unlock all 4 cores.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I may be missing something but unless your board only supports 95w TDP you can get a guaranteed quad for only $10 more with a PII X4 965. I see no reason why you should gamble on the dual core unlocking at that price point.