Solved! How to use HD footage in a SD project in Sony Vegas

Jul 25, 2019
Hi, I film everything in HD. but I want to create a smaller project (720x480). I want to use the HD footage so I can pan & zoom, but everytime I import HD footage it automatically resizes it to fit the dimensions. How do I keep the HD footage in its original size?

Solution
By default, sony vegas resizes all the photos and videos into the frame. If, let's say, your footage is in 720/1080p, you can go in your video event's 'Pan/Crop' and insert 720x480 into the event's width and height respectively. The frame will automatically position itself to the center of the frame. Now you can go ahead and move the frame within the HD footage.
If your HD footage is the same aspect ratio (16:9) you can make it easier by locking the aspect ratio of the frame (5th option on the left side of the 'Pan/Crop' effect window).
Let me know if you encounter any more problems.
Regards.

Thanks very much! Funnily enough, after I posted the question I found that very solution myself messing around with Vegas - messing...
Aug 2, 2019
By default, sony vegas resizes all the photos and videos into the frame. If, let's say, your footage is in 720/1080p, you can go in your video event's 'Pan/Crop' and insert 720x480 into the event's width and height respectively. The frame will automatically position itself to the center of the frame. Now you can go ahead and move the frame within the HD footage.
If your HD footage is the same aspect ratio (16:9) you can make it easier by locking the aspect ratio of the frame (5th option on the left side of the 'Pan/Crop' effect window).
Regards.

Jul 25, 2019
Regards.

Thanks very much! Funnily enough, after I posted the question I found that very solution myself messing around with Vegas - messing around is indeed the best way to learn! But I left my question up as I wasn't sure if this was the correct/easiest way to do it. But now your answer has confirmed that I was doing it the right way, so thanks again for taking the time to answer!

Solution
Aug 2, 2019
I am glad you found the answer.
Not gonna lie, I was messing around with vegas for about 3 years before I got the hang of it :) but once you do, it's as easy as it gets.