How to use Laptop as main PC and home PC as secondary /extended monitor

May 9, 2018
Ok so I have a work laptop that I would like to use at home from time to time. My home PC is a 22" monitor PC combo (all in one unit, there is now tower). I would like to be able to use my laptop as the main PC and use my home PC as a secondary monitor when I am working from home. Is this possible? I know the laptop is video out only. It seems like all the other questions asked people want to do the opposite....use the laptop as the secondary monitor but I want my PC to be the secondary monitor....just an extension of my laptop. Can this be done?

Solution
Some AIO PCs have the capability to turn off the PC part, and have separate Video IN (VGA or HDMI) interface. If your home PC does not have this option, there's no way to use it's monitor as an extension of the laptop.

There used to be some "virtual desktop" applications (a piece of software installed on both laptop and home PC), but most of them are buggy.
Some AIO PCs have the capability to turn off the PC part, and have separate Video IN (VGA or HDMI) interface. If your home PC does not have this option, there's no way to use it's monitor as an extension of the laptop.

There used to be some "virtual desktop" applications (a piece of software installed on both laptop and home PC), but most of them are buggy.

Solution