How to use roku without hdmi port on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Schmosby

Honorable
May 10, 2013
I just bought a second roku (roku 3) and was excited to put it to use. But the (hand-me-down) TV I have must be a first gen. Samsung hdtv (I can get the model and specs later if need-be) and there is no HDMI input! There are component video inputs, the other standard jacks, and what I think is an dvi or vga or avi?? input. I think there is an optical jack (I have to check tonight and can update, but it may have been an output). Either way, I understand that dvi is just video. I can't seem to find anywhere an hdmi cable that splits to dvi and male audio cables.

My questions are: What are my options and what is the best way to bring audio and video to the TV? Is it true that ANY of the audio would have to be converted to analog? What happens to the hd quality at this point? Will I ultimately have to go with an older model roku with component ports?

Thank you all, in advance!

Classic Schmosby

Honorable
May 10, 2013

I don't think this is right. I don't think they make such a cable that works digital to analog like that.
Or all the reviews say they don't work right.
There are cables that seem like that for PS3 but I don't have one of those and I think there might be a special set-up for them.

Classic Schmosby

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Okay, I've done lots of research and this is what I found. ALMOST EVERY converter box, including the one listed above is not HDCP compliant. What this means is that some HD content will be blocked. That kind of ruins some of the best parts of streaming. There is one product that seems to be of quality and good review, the HD Fury, but it is so expensive that you might as well buy a new TV, seriously. By the way, read reviews and watch out for knock-offs of that product.

Any cable that attempts to go from HDMI to something other than DVI is a waste. Like composite, component, etc. They won't work. DVI would work, but it is video only!

The best solution seems to be to go with a Roku 2 model or lower that has different outputs. Roku 2 has an A/V port (which the Roku 3 does NOT have) with which you can connect to composite RCA jacks (NOT Component). But beware of this. As far as I can tell, you can NOT use a STANDARD 3.5mm to Red, White, Yellow RCA cord. Many people have complained of this (and I have a great quality one right now at home MYSELF, that does NOT work). Apparently the 3.5mm plug is PROPRIETARY and I have ordered one from Roku and will update on this. Their website says they are proprietary but that did not stop me from trying like everyone else.

Quality will automatically be diminished by not using the HDMI cable, but the first generation HDTVs screwed up or were at least too late jumping on the HDMI boat.

Perhaps you should go with the cheaper Roku HD or Roku LT if your TV is so old that you don't have HD quality anyway. There is no reason to upgrade the Roku then just downgrade what it can do, just so that you can hook it up to your TV, unless you are planning on buying a better TV in the future.

Another option is to hunt down a Roku XDS. This DOES have a port that can split to COMPONENT video output (Red, Green, Blue). As far as I can tell is that Roku doesn't even make this one any more (they don't sell it on their own site). I assume the software will not update much for it. And as far as the cables, I'd buy them direct from Roku. They DO sell them (at a decent price) right on their site.

What I did was take the first unit I had, the Roku 2HD and used that in my basement with my older TV (mostly for kids and treadmill use), and installed the new Roku 3 on my main TV. I was hoping to utilize the headphones in the remote function on the treadmill, but oh well. The biggest loss is the picture quality. But the kids won't care anyway. As it stands, even the 2HD is not working. Hopefully the cord from Roku themselves will do the trick.

I hope my many hours of looking (grief) helps some of you.

jlc46

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
After reading this I think I'm getting somwhere, finally. I have an HD tv with DVI. If I buy the roku 2 can I can I get the video by converting the hdmi to dvi and get the audio by connecting a cable from the av port on the box to audio input on the tv?

ahamel

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
What about ATV Pro? Kannex says it is Roku compatible: "ATV PRO is an HDMI to VGA adapter. It’ll connect any of the new Roku media players via HDMI to a TV or monitor that has VGA. You can also connect external speakers to get high quality audio. There is no external power adapters needed to power the ATV PRO for it is bus powered, giving you more flexibility to connect in your entertainment center. Once connected, you can use Roku as it was intended– to give you all that great Internet video and music content from over the Internet. Do know that you do need a wired or wireless network at home to enable the streaming of the content over the internet."

Hawbaget

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014
>> I don't think they make such a cable that works digital to analog like that.
-- They do but are not possible to find. You need to contact this person in order to get an HDMI to RCA-jack cable that will connect the Roku to your cathode ray tube (CRT) TV. JohnPC Configurations, Inc., Website: www.JohnPC.net, Ph #: (425) 374-4888, They're based out of WA state.

richerich

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
I connected my roku 3 to tv with the help of a dvi to Hdmi adapter. Picture came though but no sound. Short term fix is you can still get the audio through the remote with this installation. So either headphones for a basement treadmill setup...or run 3.5 output to red/white plugs to your stereo. Ackward but it works for a basement.

My long term fix was to buy a hdmi to component cable. But when I tried to hook that up, no sound or picture came through. Not sure if it was a bad cord or if that method wont work without a $30 adapter.

instrument

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
DVI is a digital video interface bus. It transmitts video only.
VGA is analog video bus. Only video signal.
HDMI is a high-speed digital audio-video bus. You can split it to DVI video signal for example, but you can't split the audio, because it's digital too and all the TV audio inputs are analog.
Seems that the roku disables it's analog audio outputs when the HDMI is used, so you can't use them together. That means you can convert the HDMI video to DVI, but you can't do anything with the sound.
I recommend not to use a high-definition digital interfaces (of any kind) together with such analog or split the digital to analog. The charm and quality of the HD buses comes from the digital signal that is passing thru them. Any conversions of the digital signal means lower quality, attenuation and parasite components inserting (especially with a low cost cable).
It's really difficult here. All the solutions up to here make compromises with the quality and some don't even work. There's no sense of using HD interface outputs with low-end conversions and interfaces. HD picture and sound means that you just have to use the proper bus to have them. And that's just the HDMI, nothing else . . .

There are two solutions for me:

1) Another TV with HDMI;
2) Another player with interface that's capable with the current TV;

The problem comes mainly from the fact, that both devices are different generations reperesentatives.

Ladybug2535

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
I have a roku 2 and have never had a problem connecting with the STANDARD 3.5mm to Red, White, Yellow RCA cord. I've used several different cords on 2 different tvs without any issue at all. I'm very surprised that anyone would have had a problem. None of these cords were proprietary. Consumers need to complain about the new standards and the lack of compatibility for older devices. We especially need to complain about the HDMI DLNA restrictions as it can prevent playback of perfectly legitimate content. What good is it to us if it doesn't work? We also need to encourage Roku to keep ALL of it's consumers in mind. I don't WANT to switch to HDMI no matter how "convenient" it is supposed to be. Given the number of complaints I read about the new standard, the less convenient it seems. I for one am really disgusted that we are being forced--yet again, to discard our perfectly good electronics. Sure HD is nice but there really is nothing wrong with the last gen picture quality.

VIEJO PENDEJO

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014
I'm 62 years old,my son hooks up all my electronics,not this time...picked up myself by the boots & marched
over to my local Radio Shack,purchased a HDMI to RCA cable,29.00...hooked it up to my Roku 3,red blue &
green to TV...red & white to my sound bar.Voila! Great picture & excellant sound!
DONE!

patriot4444

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014

What if you don't have a sound bar? Will the audio still work with the red, blue and green? I'm assuming so and the sound bar and red and white cables is for surround sound effect.

6364chevyguy

Estimable
Jan 28, 2015
Well I just read this.I am 61 and thought it was that simple also.So now with your WiFi internet and your old Tv without any HDMI input you are streaming video directly to you Tv without a computer and using just the Roku 3 remote.If so why is everyone making this so complicated?

Huh What

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

Oh, I don't know... maybe because this thread started in 2013 and it is now 2015 and better options exist.... or maybe people were just dumber in 2013.

garoku

Estimable
Jun 11, 2015
I think this product might be what you are looking for? It seems to convert HDMI to red/white/yellow so that you can use a Roku Streaming Stick with older TVs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z827E86/

jpw094

Estimable
Oct 26, 2015

The standalone HDMI to component cable simply doesn't work. The signal needs to be converted from digital to analog and there are conversion boxes that will do that. Check Amazon for HDMI to Component coverters and you'll find them.

kann1084

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016

***I've bought 4 different sets of cables to do this (each time thinking something was wrong with the cable, so bought another, etc). You do need the cables, but you also need a converter box as well. You can find them on ebay for around $12 and up. Good luck!

59Skippy

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016

Monster makes an adapter Female HDMI to Male DVI. Part Number140681-00

59Skippy

Status
Not open for further replies.