How Xbox One/Windows 8 Cross Play Would Affect Gamers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
RAM1009... your argument is without merit. Cross-platform gaming is by definition multi-player. fi you play solo, you play on whatever system you have. It doesn't make you second-class, you are trying to make a problem out of something that isn't a problem. Maybe you should run for office.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Personally, I am trying to get out and stay out of the Microsoft ecosystem. From a terrible new OS in Windows 8, to a 'playing keep up game with Sony' in the console world just to make sure they keep the $$ flowing as well as PRISM allegations, I no longer desire to support the company. Are they still going to be charging customer an XBox Live fee on top of customers internet and electricity bills? Will Windows 8 user have to start paying this Live fee to play games in the Micro-sphere? Will you have to buy a proprietary mouse and keyboard to use on the Xbone? This company is not interested in the gamers, they are interested in the $$. If I did buy a console, it would be a Playstation, but I will be putting my full support behind the SteamOS / Steam Boxes.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
"The online protocols and programming quirks for an Xbox One are different from those of a PS4, PC or Wii U."

So TCP and UDP standard protocols differ between architectures? That's news to me!

S Brideau

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
@Skippy27 - I was going to make the same comment lol.

@wysir - Xbox360 already allows the use of any usb keyboard (for basic use, not for games, but still). I don't think they would force proprietary keyboard and mouse, but we never know. Also PS4 will have a fee for their online service as well, so your comment about the fee is invalid. Also when you look at sales of the previous generation, I don't think MS is playing 'keep up game with Sony'.

Zule32

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Start working at home with Google! Its by-far the best job Ive had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. Useful Reference http://goo.gl/w7ceUX
WORK LESS EARN MORE

smeghead4269

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Didn't they try this with one of the early Halo games, and quickly abandoned the idea when they realized the keyboard and mouse gave PC gamers far too great an advantage over those using the Xbox controller? I don't see how it could turn out any differently this time around, unless this is just a cheap ploy to get XBone gamers to buy a keyboard and mouse for the console.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
The majority of those who say cross platform between consoles, and between consoles and PC's is impossible have never done hardware abstraction. It's very similar to writing a game engine that supports multiple API's, OS's, hardware, etc. I don't know why so many people make such a huge deal about it.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Its still not the same. The PC is native to the KB/M. The consoles are native to controllers. Most of the games will have been optimized for the controller and there wont be the same sensitivity options as a PC mouse has.

The majority of console gamers will also stick with the familiar controller over moving to a M/KB as its more comfortable on the couch than a KB/M.

I honestly don't like the idea as there will be lots of rage quitting.

Michael Seeds

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
@wanderer11 That is not really true. I play on PC BF3 with an xbox controller and am still able dominate. Infact I have better performance on my pc bf3 account compared to my xbox account.

It may be true that a mouse and keyboard is more accurate but really it doesn't make that much of a difference. (in my opinion) If your good with a controller you can still do well.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Microsoft tested this with the 360. It was going to be cross-platform play. They cancelled because in every test controllers lost to mouse/keyboard. Every time.

Now some games are better on controllers like platformers and racing games. But FPS is better with the m/kb.

Status
Not open for further replies.