HP 250 G3 Laptop battery duration

-Jigsaw

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Hello, I am thinking of buying an HP 250 G3 laptop (J4T52EA). I am trying to determine how long the battery will last under low to moderate work loads. Example of a low load would be composing text in MS word and moderate would be surfing with wifi on. The battery is a 4-cell Li-Ion @ 41Wh.
The main components are:
Intel Core i3-4005U
nVidia GT 820M 1GB
15.6" LED screen (1366 x 768)
4GB RAM @ 1600MHz
SSD Disk

About how long do you think the battery will last?

Solution
Here is a link to the quick specs sheet for that notebook that gives a detailed breakdown of the maximum battery life, based on processor and operating system for both the 3 cell and 4 cell battery packs.
http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04296085.pdf

As you will see from the table on page 8 and 9, the maximum is higher under Windows 7, versus Windows 8, and also varies based on the specific processor. These are going to be the maximum values. With light usage you are probably going to be closer to those maximum values, depending on your power management choices. The amount of reduction for moderate load is again going to depend on power management as well as the power draw of any devices in use, or connected. Probably a 25...

-Jigsaw

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Ok, I did contact HP. Meanwhile, can you guess about how long the battery will probably last, given the specifications above? Also, if I was to buy a new battery, what kind of capacities should I be looking at? 60 - 80Wh?

Malygris1

Estimable
Jul 1, 2015
Battery life depends on various factors including product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use,
wireless functionality, and power management settings, as well as connected external devices (USB or otherwise). The maximum capacity of the battery will also naturally decrease with time and usage. In general the figures for charge duration are going to be for best case situation, the more you deviate from that the less time you have

If you are concerned about charge duration, I would suggest looking at a larger battery pack, and a compatible fast charger.

I post on behalf of HP.

Malygris1

Estimable
Jul 1, 2015
Here is a link to the quick specs sheet for that notebook that gives a detailed breakdown of the maximum battery life, based on processor and operating system for both the 3 cell and 4 cell battery packs.
http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04296085.pdf

As you will see from the table on page 8 and 9, the maximum is higher under Windows 7, versus Windows 8, and also varies based on the specific processor. These are going to be the maximum values. With light usage you are probably going to be closer to those maximum values, depending on your power management choices. The amount of reduction for moderate load is again going to depend on power management as well as the power draw of any devices in use, or connected. Probably a 25 -35% reduction in time is going to be close, but it is hard to really predict as battery performance is affected by so many other things, besides just the power consumption, such as ambient temperature, hot or cold, both affect a batteries efficiency.

I post on behalf of HP.

Solution

-Jigsaw

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Ok, thank you. I hadn't found that sheet. And of course I understand a lot of factors affect battery life. I was just looking for a rough estimate. Thank you for your time.