Solved! HP 6730b Caps Lock and Scroll Lock blinks twice.

DavidVioMC

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Recently I wanted to upgrade the CPU in my 6730b, I have ordered a faster Core 2 Duo which was in my supported list. Unfortunely the buyer sent me the wrong CPU and actually sent me a Core 2 Quad, same socket. It was labelled as Core 2 Duo on the package so I didn't twice, the process went smooth.

When I put my laptop together and tried to boot it, all I got was the caps lock and the scroll lock blinking twice. So I knew something was wrong so I decided to put my core 2 duo back in and see what happens, same issue but my laptop worked perfectly fine before.

After googling the error, two blinks mean BIOS problem/error/corrpution, I tried both the key combo recovery and USB recovery and none of them worked. I also tried hard reset and taking out CMOS battery. I'm unsure if it would be possible for the un-supported CPU to fry the motherboard or BIOS chip when the socket is the same? I pretty much tried everything and it appears the motherboard may be fried. Should I get a another one or does anyone else know what the issue is? Thanks

Solution
After taking apart the laptop again to re-sit RAM and CPU, it turned out instead of locking the socket, I unlocked it, no idea how I managed to insert the CPU with locked socket. After correctly locking the CPU, the laptop booted straight up. Weird that it was giving out a BIOS error rather than CPU error.

DavidVioMC

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
After taking apart the laptop again to re-sit RAM and CPU, it turned out instead of locking the socket, I unlocked it, no idea how I managed to insert the CPU with locked socket. After correctly locking the CPU, the laptop booted straight up. Weird that it was giving out a BIOS error rather than CPU error.

Solution