HP 6735b Notebook - Flashing Caps Lock & Number Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey 76

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Hello,

I have a HP 6735b Notebook, the machine won't boot up on power up, and has Flashing Caps Lock & Number Lock lights.

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks

G

Might be a failure of the power supply or internal power circuitry. I'd get it back to the dealer -- or to a tech guy.

G

I have the same problem. The 2 leds (Caps lock and Num lock) flash 5 times then the PC refuses to start. The screen is completely black. I think that the PC has lost the BIOS or part of it. I wonder if it is possible to find an utility to re-flash the BIOS.

G

Although it's presumably out of warranty, I would take it back to the dealer and ask what they intend to do about it. A computer is a consumer durable and you are entitled to expect it to continue function for years after any warranty period.

G

Although it's presumably out of warranty, I would take it back to the dealer and ask what they intend to do about it. A computer is a consumer durable and you are entitled to expect it to continue function for years after any warranty period.

I did it last week. They (HP) asked me 400€ + VAT for motherboard substitution. Consider that I paid the 6735B 349€ (VAT included). I think that I will solve my problem by purchasing another PC (I don't want to see HP any more, of course).

G

Did you take it to the shop?-- because your contract is with the vendor, not the manufacturer.

Get that issue straight before you proceed. The warranty is from HP but that has nothing to do with your contract with the vendor unless HP sold it direct to you -- when they are the vendor.

I would write to the vendor saying you are prepared to take them to court for the balance of the value of the machine -- the way to work it out would be to calculate the depreciation over 6 years and if (for example) you've had it 2 years claim 66% of the purchase price.

If your jurisdiction has a small-claims-court system this limits costs so that the full court costs will not be met by you, even if you lose.

mbarber

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Just had this issue with two of these model laptops. I removed the CD-rom drive and reseated and this issue went away.

Slive

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Had a keyboard issue as well with a HP DX6120. It flashed as the machine started booting and then the keyboard was non-responsive after that. I struggled for a while and googled around but to no avail then I started randomly trying to hold down keys and it worked. I held down the F1 key and it booted. Held down F5 for safemode etc. P/S2 just failed miserably but when I switched to USB then there wasn't an issue. I know this thread is old but it might help a fellow googler one day when his ancient HP tower refuses to let him in :)

hoodinki

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012

I had this trouble. My HP G series was trying to boot from a USB drive. So I unplugged all USB devices and SD cards, booted normally immediately.

Jane_28

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Absolutely right ! Normally I just unplug all USB devices and SD cards, but last night it still wouldn't boot up and had flashing caps lock. This morning, I just put this laptop (HP 68 CPK Ver. F.06) in my backpack, give some shock by running to catch the bus, then when I would show my problem to my colleague at the office, it works properly without any touch !
However, when I checked mr RAM, it was heavy loaded. What I need to do now is only make a backup for all of my files and clean my temporary files (up to 2Gb) then save some money to buy a future laptop :)
Maybe next time we can try this solution : unplug then plug the RAM .

joptnet

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Did you take it to the shop?-- because your contract is with the vendor, not the manufacturer.

Get that issue straight before you proceed. The warranty is from HP but that has nothing to do with your contract with the vendor unless HP sold it direct to you -- when they are the vendor.

I would write to the vendor saying you are prepared to take them to court for the balance of the value of the machine -- the way to work it out would be to calculate the depreciation over 6 years and if (for example) you've had it 2 years claim 66% of the purchase price.

If your jurisdiction has a small-claims-court system this limits costs so that the full court costs will not be met by you, even if you lose.

Customers like you take the joy out of being a small business owner. Vendors do not warranty the manufacturer's products. A vendor will sell you item and offer a reasonable return policy to account for any issues that may arise within the first 30 or 60 days. After that you need to rely on the manufacturer. I'm assuming if you looked at your sales receipt you would notice that the vendor does not warranty the product being purchased. In cases like this, own up... it's no ones fault, you are outside of the warranty from the manufacturer and the vendor has no responsibility to replace the broken item. To recommend people take a business to court over this type of issue is a waste of courts time and a waste of the customers time. Sometimes you get stuck with a broken product. Next time buy the extended warranty! Don't just try to point the blame elsewhere.

jala007

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
If you have problem The 2 leds (Caps lock and Num lock) flash 5 times then the PC refuses to start. The screen is completely black...

Answer: Lift out the keyboard and the ribbon, remove on/off switch with LED panel. And remove CPU cooler fan. Then remove CUP heat sink. Now you can see "AMD chip" near the CPU.. thats where your problem came from.. heat that chip and arround the chip with hot gun under 200 degrees Celsius for 30 seconds. let cool it down for 5 min and put back on/off switch with LED panel and press power on button.. you are done. power off and put all things back and good luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.