HP 8440p 3G module port info

torbendalum

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I have a hp 8440p laptop and I don't have a 3g module installed in in. The port for the 3G module looks like a standart pci express mini port. Now is that port a true pci express mini port ? or just a port made for the 3G module, because I know that on some laptops this port is actualy just connected to a USB2 adaptor which is fast enough for a 3G connection. I have been looking for some specs for it but have been unable to find any.

The reason for my question is that if the port is compatible if am thinking of buying a intel 310 series 80 GB SSD and install it in this port and then use it as the system drive and have the normal 2.5" drive as a big storage drive.

Does anybody know this info, for my hp8440p, and have anybody tried to do this ?

torbendalum

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Yes that is right, but mSATA and PCI express mini ports/cards are physicaly identical, there is differences in the control interface, but some accepts both. I know you can change the 3G module with this SSD in the Lenovo Thinkpad X-T-W series and they are the equivalent to the HP Elite xxxP series. So I was hoping it would work.

torbendalum

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
OK I just found the answer at anandtech.com. the HP does not support mSATA, damn. I knew the was a reason I find Lenovo has the best business Laptops.