HP elitebook 8470p extended battery won't charge or drain

rockadder

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
most likely a problem with the motherboard and am willing to try and fix it on my own. but the extended battery won't drain or charge. i already replaced the extended battery so its not the problem and neither is the charger. Just looking to know if anyone knows the specific thing that will need to be fixed.

When you replaced the battery, did you get an OEM battery or an after market one? If it is after market, that could be where your problem lies. While some things after market are great, laptop batteries are not one of them.

Also, you should check to make sure the battery isn't loose at all when put in. Anything that can lead to lack of connection.

Another thing to try is to turn the laptop off and see if it charges then. If it will charge when off, but not when the laptop is on, then the problem may also include the cord.

rockadder

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016

OEM battery, no loose connection. doesn't charge when the laptop is off

rockadder

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016

yep, i will most likely replace the motherboard. It sounds hard, is it?

rockadder

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016

it said the secondary battery was weak, but the diagnostic tool doesn't seem to be very useful because it doesn't diagnose if the motherboard has a problem. plus its sort of odd that the secondary battery won't drain.

Is changing the motherboard difficult? would i just need to do some soldering on the charging circuit?

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Last time I saw an HP tech take one apart he just took apart the laptop shell and then had to replace the whole motherboard, might not have been the same model. There was another forum post recently about a HP 8560w that would not charge the secondary battery without a working primary battery, how is the primary battery?

For reference here is the link to the thread http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3223918/elitebook-8560w-battery-charging.html

rockadder

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
So when replacing the motherboard does it come with the ram and processor and all that or will i have to take it from the ol motherboard and put it on the new one?

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

You will have to look at the listing to be sure, but usually they come only with the MB and you have to swap over the RAM and CPU yourself. Make sure to have some thermal compound on hand when you swap over the CPU.