Question hp elitebook 8470p restarting rather than waking up from sleep after opening the lid

Jul 2, 2019
Hi, I started having this problem two days back, I didn't upgrade or installed anything when the problem started. I have an hp elitebook 8470p two days back in the morning when I closed the lid after working on my laptop and opened again, it should have woken up from sleep instead, it lit the buttons of wifi, volume for one second then again it went off and restarts the system and after restarting it got stuck on hp logo and than I had to press the power button again to shut and restart it. I have checked multiple solutions like checking power settings, sleep settings, troubleshooting of power, I even updated windows yesterday night only to find it also didn't fix the problem. I am really frustrated by having laptop restarting again and again every time I close the lid. I am using Windows 10. Thanks for the hep in advance
P.S: In safe mode after closing the lid and then again opening it my system wakes up from sleep showing all the work where I left, rather than restarting.

Last edited:
Since you tested it in "Safe Mode" and it works fine in there, then even though you didn't update or install anything personally, there is something on the laptop that is causing your issue.

I would suggest you run good deep checks for viruses, malware, etc., If nothing turns up there, then go to "System Restore" and choose a restore point prior to the time the problem started. Set it to restore to that point and once completed, since if the problem returns or not.

Jul 2, 2019
Since you tested it in "Safe Mode" and it works fine in there, then even though you didn't update or install anything personally, there is something on the laptop that is causing your issue.

I would suggest you run good deep checks for viruses, malware, etc., If nothing turns up there, then go to "System Restore" and choose a restore point prior to the time the problem started. Set it to restore to that point and once completed, since if the problem returns or not.
I went for the restore but unfortunately no restore point was created so ruled ou that option. But I will do the deep virus check. Thanks for the help

Jul 2, 2019
I did the scan but the problem still persists. However one improvement is that, now when I open the lid my and press the power key, it lit up for half a second than turns off again but after that when I press again then hp logo appears and windows start again like when you open your pc after shutdown but it picks up where you left it off. So actually it is waking up from sleep but in a more complicated and abnormal way.
I went for the restore but unfortunately no restore point was created so ruled ou that option. But I will do the deep virus check. Thanks for the help