HP Envy x360 new AMD or Lenovo 8th Gen i5

Solution
I don't think so, with that budget. Those options, especially the AMD offering, looks to be a great option. Anything more, is likely to be disproportionate in 'improvements', relative to the cost.

Might get a larger SSD etc, but you'll overpay for something like that pre-configured.
"More powerful" will depend what you want to use it for.

CPUs are going to be pretty comparable, with the Intel option having the better IPC, and a little less of a power draw.

The GPU is definitely stronger on the AMD option.

Given the AMD option is cheaper, has a comparable CPU, much stronger GPU and a 1TB HDD in addition to the SSD, that would be my suggestion, hands-down.

Neither programs 'minimum' spec is a problem.

AfterEffects alone, will benefit from faster cores (high clockspeed) than it will number of cores - I would expect them both to perform very similarly overall, with perhaps the improved GPU of the Ryzen offering being more beneficial, depending on the task.

I'd still opt for the AMD option.

I don't think so, with that budget. Those options, especially the AMD offering, looks to be a great option. Anything more, is likely to be disproportionate in 'improvements', relative to the cost.

Might get a larger SSD etc, but you'll overpay for something like that pre-configured.

Solution