Solved! HP Envy x365 screen goes blank when idle, can't recover

Mar 15, 2020
I have seen several posts about blank screens, but the don't match my situation exactly. My setup:
- HP Envy x365 Convertible
- Windows 10 Home
- No mods to hardware or BIOS

My laptop is connected to two monitors through a Plugable USB 3.0 Docking station. All other USB devices are also through the Plugable. I generally keep my laptop on all the time.

Most of the time, everything functions fine. No issues.

HOWEVER, if I leave the system on for an extended period - 30 minutes to several hours, when I return I find that the laptop is still "on", fan working, but the screen is black/blank. External monitors are in idle state (yellow LED, no signal). I have tried various advertized cures without any luck. The only solution is to press the power button for >10 sec and power down. After power up, everything comes back to normal until I leave the system idle again. The problem isn't predictable - sometimes the laptop recovers after being idle for several hours.

Has anyone had this experience and/or have any solutions to try?

Thanks

Solution
Sounds like your monitor is going to sleep/hibernate. I would go into "Control Panel" and check all the settings for that. Including going into "Power Options", "Change plan settings", "Change advanced power settings" and then check all options there. The setting turning off or putting to sleep the display could be in a few of them, hence why I suggest checking all. Any setting that is set to turn things off/save power could be the cause.
Sounds like your monitor is going to sleep/hibernate. I would go into "Control Panel" and check all the settings for that. Including going into "Power Options", "Change plan settings", "Change advanced power settings" and then check all options there. The setting turning off or putting to sleep the display could be in a few of them, hence why I suggest checking all. Any setting that is set to turn things off/save power could be the cause.

Reactions: jmulla
Solution
Mar 15, 2020

Thanks. I'll try changing some of those settings and see if it makes any difference. I do remember changing them some time back, just don't know if that correlated with the problem. Thanks, again.

TRENDING THREADS