AMarie023

Estimable
Oct 22, 2015
I have owned this laptop for around nearly 5 years, though it has been having heating problems which resulted into the laptop overheating at times, but never anymore and gets really hot. P.S It burnt my leg one time too.
So, I thought that maybe the fan was clogged since I could hear it still. This resulted into a decision of opening up the laptop and taking the fan out to clean it out. However, I am still a noob when it comes to thermal paste. So, when I took out the fan, I detached it from the heatsink which I didn't know what would happen.
After successfully cleaning out the fan and putting the laptop back together, then plugging it in as I turned it on. I felt for the fan, which the cool air came out. The laptop booted up to the login, but I moved the laptop to adjust it which resulted into the laptop shutting off and refusing to turn on again.
I solved that problem by lightly hitting the laptop against the surface, but when I turned on the laptop again.The fan blew out the cool air, but sounded horrible similar to the last time it was on expect that the laptop shut off after booting up around 15 seconds. It barely loaded Windows.
I think it is thermal paste needing replaced, but I ran a test with the battery since I wouldn't exactly know what I did wrong. The battery light blinked, which I was hoping so I reset it. The battery light doesn't flicker anymore, but the laptop continues on shutting off every 15 seconds after starting up. I've even tried putting the fan to the Air Conditioner in hopes to keep the laptop on.
Does anyone think this could be thermal paste as well? Let me know, please.

Solution
Likely the system is overheating due to bad heatsink setup. Remove the fan, clean off the fan and CPU so its' clean of the old heat grease, apply new heat grease. Hopefully your CPU or motherboard have not been damaged already. If the system continues to shut off, you may need a new CPU. If the fan is making noise you may want to replace it, bad bearings or having it be off alignment will cause it to be too loud.
Likely the system is overheating due to bad heatsink setup. Remove the fan, clean off the fan and CPU so its' clean of the old heat grease, apply new heat grease. Hopefully your CPU or motherboard have not been damaged already. If the system continues to shut off, you may need a new CPU. If the fan is making noise you may want to replace it, bad bearings or having it be off alignment will cause it to be too loud.

Solution

AMarie023

Estimable
Oct 22, 2015

After leaving the laptop off for two days, I decided to start it up again last night when I posted on here. It booted up until about 10 seconds until the login before shutting off. Though, I tried it again this morning and I recieved a message that the system shut down to prevent damage due to overheating so it is the heatsink area. I will purchase what I need, but will also purchase the fan in case as well.
Thanks! I'll let you know if this works.

AMarie023

Estimable
Oct 22, 2015

I got the thermal paste replaced, and the laptop boots up beautifully. The temperature has dropped from 227F (which was the hottest temperature but I'm surprised that it didn't shut off because of that) to 129.2 to 132.8F which is much better temperature. The laptop continues on making noises, but it runs better now. :)