hp g62 suddenly not connecting to Internet - though modem is connected fine and works for other devices.

sai1020

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
I desperately need to know why this one laptop is not able to connect to the Internet even though my phone is connected to same modem, as is family computer downstairs.... Thank you :)

sai1020

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
I have a wireless connection. The wifi indicator light on the laptop is showing that I have wifi.

So yea, I'll give the rundown: my modem works fine. It's being used currently for the wifi on my phone.
There are other computers also using same said modem as we speak.
My laptop (subject in question) has been working fine to access the Internet until very recently. It has a wifi connection.. The wifi light on the laptop is showing everything should be fine. However, it's apparently not fine because instead of automatically connecting to the network as it should, it has a red X signifying that there are no networks available. Not possible since I'm paying for and using the network that is very available.
I haven't downloaded anything in quite a while, so I've personally ruled out getting a virus from ignorantly clicking ok to everything lol yep, I've learned the hard way lol.
I do have malwarebytes, but it mysteriously isn't able to find anything. Also, the troubleshooting engine for the os literally says that it can't find anything because it's broken.. ok so maybe not in those words, but essentially that's the error message I receive....
What else can I tell you.. oh it has windows 7.. not sure if that has anything to do with anything but there you go lol.

mk72118

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Are you wifi drivers up to date for your laptop? What exactly does Windows say when you troubleshoot (if you don't mid re-running the troubleshooter)? You could try going to Device Manager (Win 7 start search) and under network adapters disable and enable the wireless adapter.

sai1020

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014

I have not updated them myself, but is that something that could happen as an automatic update? It was doing automatic updates quite regularly.
Troubleshooting wizard says: An unexpected error has occured. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue.
One thing says that my wireless is currently disabled but when I went to enable it another error message popped up: Run Wizard Error: 0X80040154 - Class not registered
However, when I went to the HP wireless assistant it says that it IS enabled: Wireless LAN Adapter this device is working properly (Ha!) Status- enabled
I turned the wireless adapter off and then back on to no avail.