HP Laptop screen backlight dead

sudeshpoojari

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Hi,

My laptops backlight wont start unless I plug my charger (power cord) and not when on battery. But once it boots no flickering nothing everything works smoothly backlight works fine. Also after i shutdown the backlight keeps flickering.

What can be problem hardware,
1) bulb (dont think so as it works fine after boot)
2) Laptop inverter
3) Somebody told me there is some IC in mobo which controls power to inverter that might be problem.

Can anybody tell me what is problem mobo or inverter based on symptoms i mentioned above.

Thanks

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Flickering is mostly caused by an inverter on its way out but depending on the screen technology on your Laptop, it could be anything from a failing battery to a bad video driver.

I know some of the older Sony Vaio Laptops had that issue which was a caused by a driver.

I doubt it has anything to do with an IC or Motherboard.

Can you tell me when the issue started ? Was it after any Software or Hardware change or Updates ? Also the model number and specs of your laptop will be of great help

sudeshpoojari

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

My laptop is HP DV6000 series.

This problem started suddenly on monday morning after a break on weekend (last week), I m in India it was same time when monsoon / rain was really on high spirits.

My hunch is that it is inverter as backlight only works when power cord is connected so whatever is at fault it need high voltage, just want to confirm from experts here.

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
If its an HP then you definitely have a LOOSE or BAD LCD Ribbon connection. They are very common with HP Laptops. Here is what I recommend you try to determine if it is indeed the LCD Ribbon :

1. You need to find where the LCD cable runs either on the Left or Right side of the laptop near the Speakers or where the Model Number is written. Then press that area down slightly to see if the flickering stops. Also if you have any other way of inserting a folded paper or card in between the speaker and the monitor hinge where the cable runs, that should allow you to properly test the solution before deciding what to do.

2. Alternatively, if you are comfortable with opening that area of the Laptop, then you can go ahead and get it sorted out.

I am absolutely positive that is the issue so you might have to reseat the LCD Ribbon or tape it properly.

Keep me updated

sudeshpoojari

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

I had opened the monitor bezel couple of days back, so i will open and check again and see if what you said works.

sudeshpoojari

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

I opened bezel cant figure out how to fix / check the cable can you point to any video.

Also to confirm inverter is not the problem checked it.

Just to add even after shutdown i can see the backlight keeps flickering if i keep laptop monitor open.

Just to add i opened the speaker section and tried to check the connection there too.