hp notebook 15 screw stuck

itzikel

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
hi
i'm trying to upgrade my laptop to ssd memory but when trying to open the cover one screw is stuck and it doesnt budge i tried far to many times so now the head is already dull too which makes it even harder , any ideas to what i can do?

Solution
There is a way, but it requires a delicate touch. With a drill, and a bit a little smaller the the head of the screw. CAREFULLY drill the head of the screw just enough so that the head separates from the main part of the screw. Then you should be able to remove the cover plate. once the cover plate is removed, grasp the protruding part of the screw with pliers and try to turn it counter clockwise. If all goes well, it should back out of the hole now that there is no tension on it. You obviously will need a new screw to re attach the cover plate, but this should work. BE VERY CAREFUL TO AVOID ANY METAL SHAVINGS GETTING INSIDE THE CASE! That could potentially ruin the computer. If you have never done anything like this before, ask a...

itzikel

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

so does that mean that i bought the ssd for nothing?

ThatVietGuy

Distinguished
Worse comes to worse, grab a screwdriver you don't like very much, put a small drop of superglue on the end, and put it to the screw. Let the glue set so that when you turn the screw to take it out you can apply pressure upwards to help you pull the screw out.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Try a rubber band

http://home-tools.wonderhowto.com/how-to/howto-remove-stripped-screw-with-rubber-band-0117180/
howto-remove-stripped-screw-with-rubber-band.w654.jpg

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
There is a way, but it requires a delicate touch. With a drill, and a bit a little smaller the the head of the screw. CAREFULLY drill the head of the screw just enough so that the head separates from the main part of the screw. Then you should be able to remove the cover plate. once the cover plate is removed, grasp the protruding part of the screw with pliers and try to turn it counter clockwise. If all goes well, it should back out of the hole now that there is no tension on it. You obviously will need a new screw to re attach the cover plate, but this should work. BE VERY CAREFUL TO AVOID ANY METAL SHAVINGS GETTING INSIDE THE CASE! That could potentially ruin the computer. If you have never done anything like this before, ask a friend for help. Drill very slowly and methodically, dont rush it, and problem solved.

Solution