HP Pavilion dv6 No Second Monitor with Widows 10 - fine with W7

Zugz

Estimable
Aug 5, 2015
With W7 I use a Pavilion 23xi Monitor via HDMI in addition to the lap top screen.
On upgrading to Windows 10 only the Laptop screen is enabled.
Looking at device manager and HP System info I see that the laptop screen is being driven by the “Graphics device 2: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series”, Device Manger reports “No drivers are installed”.
“Graphics Device 1: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series” in controlling nothing and DM reports, with a yellow exclamation mark, “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)”.
Presumably why I have no second monitor output?
Any view on how to fix? “Update drive” says I’m running the latest driver. No luck with the ATI update software either.
Another question is given that googling seems to say that the 4200 is not supported in W10 could this be a root cause of the 5000 problem and an indication that I’ll never get dual monitors back (which means going back to W7 or a new PC)? Or is it simple a matter of coaing the 5000 driver back to life?
Any thoughts appreciated. Even if only to say me too.

Hendlton

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

Zugz

Estimable
Aug 5, 2015
Hi,
Now I'm back in W7 I can see that the 4250 is driving the second monitor. In W10 no driver is installed and AMD provide none so no second monitor output. Also read that somewhere official I think... It seems the 4200 series is now legacy and so that is it.
Dean.