HP Pavillion dv7 black screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacemaynee

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
My dad has a HP Pavillion dv7 and recently it stop showing video. It appears to be stuck in sleep mode. All the lights come on the keyboard and than it two lights blink as if it were in sleep mode.

No hard drive activity is happening at all. Looking at the light at least.

This is what i have tried so far to fix it

tried hooking it up to an external display, vga and hdmi. nothing. no signal.

Turned it on with the ac adapter plugged in. Removed battery with it still on. Turn off, wait 5-10 seconds. Turn back on with just ac adapter, no battery. That hasn't worked.

I let the cmos battery unplugged overnight. Hasn't worked.

Tried holding F2, Delete, F8 while first turning it on to try and enter bios. No luck.

Using one RAM module at a time in both slots. Hasn't worked.

CTRL ALT DELETE, HOME KEY, all while on and nothing.

it sounds like a normal laptop when you turn it on (fans, and lights). All the lights stay on and than the the two keys start blinking as if it were in sleep mode.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. It would be cool if i could return his laptop in working condition. I am out of ideas and there is not much trouble shooting information on the web on this laptop.

thanks in advance!

dadeo_23

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Aloha,
Have exactly the same thing going on. Did you get any answers?

spacemaynee

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010

nah i didn't. i did take it completely apart though and reseated the cpu. i was told that might work. it however did not. i don't know i have narrow it down to the video card and/or dead motherboard. it could very well be a dead cpu too. i've heard things about motherboards dieing on the HPs so my gut says that is the problem. haven;t done anything to replace it either. it is just sitting collecting dust.

TheTempest

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
i just ran into this same issue... what model dv7 is it? the constant blinking is supposed to mean "insufficient power" but i havent been able to find a fix for it. i was just downloading something, came back to the laptop and it had froze. i powered it down, turned it on, and the screen is just black. im wondering if its a solder issue on the gpu just like a number of other HP laptops... i didnt know what i was getting myself into with HP. this will be my last product from them no doubt.

im assuming you havent found a solution. hopefully i'll get a reply

hppaviliondv7

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
I have the same problem I was told is a defect in the motherboard i tried to have it fixed by putting a new motherboard and still nothing .I was told that there is a class action lawsuit but i have not been able who to contact. Does anyone have any info. It would be helpful . I had the exact same issue that the first person described and only one month out of the warranty golfigure.

jemihami

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Well, I have a dv7-1135nr and have, as of today, finally stripped it down and disassembled it down to the motherboard. Everything I have tested appears to be functioning correctly, right down to the AMD Turion processor (CPU P/N: TMRM70DAM22GG), (Stepping Code: OBAJB BA), (AMP Pkg #: 29882). From what I know this CPU has a non-dedicated video chip which causes it to become very hot and the copper heat conductor and heatsink are unable to cool the processor with its single fan.

Anyhow, I am going to bring the processor into a local "computer nerd" shop and have them test it. If it works, I am going to attempt to install and additional fan in any open space within the laptop case. Unfortunately, I am more of a software and desktop dis-assembly/assembly guy ... so, wish me luck.

JH
jemihami@gmail.com

desolator4u

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I also have a DV7-1135nr and also took it apart, reset the CPu and reassembled it, and now the lights at the top comes on for a sec along with the Fan, then everything goes out, but the Caps Lock and Num Lock LEDs are no longer flashing once every 3 seconds or so, which should be good news, but now the 3 LEDs at the bottom left corner (Power, Battery and HDD) are flashing every second.
Does anyone know what that error means? Can't find any (useful) info checking online.

Thanks
~Des

israeljose

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Caps Lock and Num Lock LEDs are no longer flashing once every 3 seconds: Memory ERROR Module error not functional

re flashing every second.: CPU not functional

desolator4u

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Well the laptop has been working for over a week after just reseating the CPU, but for the last few days, it has been refusing to power on if left off for 9 hrs or so. The CPU error code will show for about 5 mins before it eventually powers on and goes into Windows. Happened a few times, now it won't power on at all, unless the CPU gets very very hot. I unplugged the fan, left it on for about 10 mins and it powered on. I let it cool for some time, and same prob again, but running a hair dryer on it made it turn on much sooner, so I don't get it. Why would it have to be very hot before it powers on?
Also, while i'm in the OS, doing something basic like playing music, it will keep skipping. Core Temp shows it idles at a high 68C, but when i open a 1020p vid and the temp goes to 88C, the audio skipping and general OS lag goes away lol what the hell do you guys think could be causing this???

kineticdragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Just to let all of you know I fixed this problem perfectly for my HP Dv7!

Apparently the problem is caused by overheating issues with HP laptops. I have a toshiba and it runs constantly perfectly.

Ok back to the HP.... I tried entering bios messing with the memory, ctrl del home...everything... The way I fixed it is

doing what some of you did...took the whole thing completely apart to the very last part.... I took the motherboard stripped from all parts... and I reflowed the southbridge and the northbridge which is the memory controlle( the actual problem)r... The reason you do both at the same time is you dont want to heat off set the either one by doing one at a time... so cycle back and forth between cpu and northbridge...you can fix it this way and Im sure no other way at all.... Um changing the motherboard should fix this problem...those of you who didnt fix it by that way is literally impossible....as everything in these laptops relies on the motherboard.... you must of somehow got a bad refurbished motherboard or even a fried one... so buy new motherboards from legit sources that you can return to if it doesnt work!!!!

Though I did fix my laptop completely functional. The problem has reoccured about 2 months later. Im now going to attempt the fix for a second time... The better fix would be to buy a legit motherboard but if you really want to try to fix this issue you can try what I said... Good luck, your going to need it and so will I right now... Please give me credit as Im a techy but new to this forum :hello: much appreciated!

kineticdragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Also I forgot to add to my complete fix for those who may not know exactly how to reseat these.......e

Use a heat gun to do this...you might

melt some of the plastic tape but dont worry about it...i did its fine...you cant melt anything on the motherboard unless you hold the gun right next to the board for a long time

Reseat instructions:

Warm up: about 5 inches from the southbridge and northbridge and cycle back n forth heating each one for 4-5 seconds before cycling... do this for about 45 seconds. Use a clockwise circular motion when on top of cpu or northbridge.

Next move to about 2 inches from the cpu and northbridge. Cycle back and forth between CPU and Northbridge chipset( it is usually the one that is linked to the heatsink with the CPU). Make sure to keep a straight line between the two pieces. Do this for about 45 secs....

Next go back to 5 inches for about 30 secs....

Next go back to 2 inches from the units for another 30 secs...

Next go back to 5 inches from the units for about 20 secs....

Now let air cool with a direct but light flow fan...It does not have to be close to the board....

Let this cool about 20 mins and then put the whole thing back together.... Power on and it should come on right away....

To prevent this from happening again Im thinking about drilling a few holes in safe places on the bottom and getting one of those laptop platforms with fans that help cool laptops..They are pretty annoying but it might prevent it from happening...also they might help even if you dont drill the holes... Ok people let me know if you do what I mentioned and fix the problems like I did...that would make me feel good if I helped! take care...

kineticdragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Posted my info! check it out...

kineticdragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Check out my fix..

kineticdragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I apologize I was thinking the CPU was soldered onto this motherboard!

So the correction is reflow the soldered northbridge and southbridge together at the same time...

They are two small chips on the motherboard....Really you only need the northbridge reflowed because

the error is a memory error....and the northbridge is the memory controller that connects the cpu to the memory....

this is what is failing in all of your laptops...

The southbridge is so close to it you might as well as reflow that at the same time so it does not get offset from just reflowing the northbridge all alone... Make sure you take everything apart even the cpu at the very last step...

fyi...the northbridge is the chip connected to the heatsink ....the cpu is also connected to this heatsink...

If I think about it..I would say cooling the northbridge and the cpu with the same heatsink is a fail... because one is soldered and the other is a chip...the cpu can take much more heat and it will produce much more heat with prolonged use....meaning the cpu could actually prevent the northbridge from cooling at all...this could be the exact reason why all of these HP laptops are failing...

HP should hire me so I can school them and tell them how to design a laptop...they could have just gave me a nice salary instead of paying for a stinking class action lawsuit... seems lawyers get all the work and us techs get fired too much...

O well the world is a strange place... :sol:

kineticdragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Just to confirm with you all I fixed this exact problem twice now!

I worked for about 3 to 4 hours...taking my time and doing it right...

Reflowing can be a delicate procedure... so if you want help before you attempt it contact me....

I believe 100 percent of you will fix your problem if your problem is fixable....

This is the only solution...

If any of you want you can send me your laptop to fix it ...Ill charge you 50 bucks if I fix it and nothing if I dont.... Haha Im an unemployed tech that has been tossed around by corporations with big money... but I still know how to design things that people cant imagine... and I know what is crap and what would be good...

My fix is a good thing for you...I'm happy to share my results...of making a solution to this bizarr problem HP seems to have...maybe its a money gimmic.... I dont know...

but my next goal is to establish a way to prevent this situation from happening again...

I already have two things in mind...

One would be software...some type of hidden bug infecting HP computers making them overload memory activity on the sly causing this ultimate error.... Maybe created by china the Motherboard makers...maybe by HP...or maybe by competitors...who knows...its hard to tell...

One way to fight against that is reformat and put a brand new OS after you fix your laptop... I would install the OS clean....and immediately put a decent firewall up... before you connect to the internet at all..dont even connect to your lan...you cant be to safe.. best practice is to isolate and be safe...

Next thing I believe is these laptops simply have really bad design...I havent opened up to many modern laptops to see if all of them do this...but I know putting cooling for both the northbridge and the cpu just doesnt seem right...they each should have indepdent cooling..and honestly a fan for each....

I mean my GOD! why on earth do these laptop makers not put a tiny fan for these parts....completely waste of money! when they could put 50 more cents in to save us poor people a few hundred.... but thats the way they dominate the industry and constantly flow money their way...

Corruption is everywhere...Im just plain sick of it....and there is not enough people out in the world who see it happening to know what it all means...I for one have a clear view of it... It all seems just like flying into a windshield head first.

kineticdragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
One last thing I believe you might need a tutorial to help you take your laptop apart safely...this is a good one for most HP laptop models...

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-hp-pavilion-dv7-notebook/

Elena 2012

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Hi,
Im wonderind where u live. I wish I can bring my hp Pavillion dv7 to u. My has dark grey screen after I start it, tried to boot from repair disk - no luck: bootmngr is missing. I got with F11 recover from HDD, it started reformat drive and ...again grey screen. Once booted to 45%. I reset HDD and changed cmos battery - no luck. My first question: is it any way to find out if it's hdd failure, if I dont have any other hdd to replace. They are expensive, cant buy untill know for sure. Is USB Enclosures just to read data, wat is it, I didnt quite understand. Probably it wont help me to find out if my HDD failed. Sorry not technical person, but cant waist money for expensive repair,
Thanks Elena

Status
Not open for further replies.