Question HP Pavillion x360 starts randomly having a black screen with lines going through it that move across the screen. Does anyone know why this is going on

Feb 11, 2022
I have a HP Pavillion x360 laptop and a couple days ago, the screen started randomly going black with several horizontal lines running through it that move across the screen. It does not always happen and sometimes the computer appears to be completely fine for a couple hours and the. Other times it goes blank dozens of times in a few minutes. I noticed that when it is really bad, opening or closing new tabs seems to set it off. Is there anyone that may know what could be wrong?

Reactions: Yabayanze

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
I can think of 4 possibilities right off the top of my head.
But before we get into hardware....... if it is started then left out in the open untouched, will it stay on for any length of time?
If not, pulling the hard drive and cloning it would be the best start if you have important on it if it will run long enough in the laptop you can clone
from the C drive another using a external HD Adapter, and Acronis True image software or something similar.
Or just do a software re-load with the option of keeping your original data. using the recovery sector on the c drive.
You can get the instructions for that off YouTube. You never gave your operating system, but make sure you find the directions for a system restore from boot for your O.S.
If you can't get it to work long enough to do this procedure, it's time to talk hardware. It's probably fried, and it will be a fair ammount of work, a thorough tear-down (just to MAYBE find a problem.)

Last edited:

Southern Belle1

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I have an HP Pavillion x360 laptop and a couple of days ago, the screen started randomly going black with several horizontal lines running through it that move across the screen. It does not always happen and sometimes the computer appears to be completely fine for a couple of hours and the. Other times it goes blank dozens of times in a few minutes. I noticed that when it is really bad, opening or closing new tabs seems to set it off. Is there anyone that may know what could be wrong?
Heya Jwnt11, try looking at the graphics and or the power, if your laptop isn't getting enough airflow it could possibly be overheating the insides causing the chips or connectors to loosen or worse start to heat up and causing damage. those lines were always a sign that your graphics card was dying and if your black screen is sometimes the power supply, it happens, make sure you're not sharing too many plugs with other plugs you can see just in plugging in your phone or tablet to charge them that they heat up quite a bit and 3rd party chargers and such and heat up even more. That heat is generally why phones and tablets along with laptops will die out faster than desktop systems because there isn't really a lot of places to disburse the heat which again, in turn, heats up the insides circuits, chips, connectors, and more.
I say this because you said it's good for a while then, .... that's the hard hint the key it's when it's been on and heating up is when it will error. laptop is new they should replace it most won't error so drastically unless your in a lava tube with no ventilation lol. post updates i'd like to know if my instinct is correct. {only because i've dealt with same / similar probs before}.
Good Luck~
Southern Belle

mrmike16

Honorable
The thing that sticks out to me in this post (The original post) is "x360". The fact that the screen flips all the way back is already a cause for video cable and hinge issues. Does this happen when the screen is not moving at all?

Let's also rule out software issues - Does this happen in Safe Mode and does it happen on an external monitor? If it happens on Safe Mode, it's hardware. If it happens on an external monitor, it could be either software or hardware (the graphics processor) but it helps give an idea of what is causing this issue.

Anything happen on the laptop right before this issue started?

What OS are you using and what specs?

If it is hardware, first thing I would try is unplugging and replugging in the video ribbon cable in the laptop.

Apr 12, 2022
I have a HP Pavillion x360 laptop and a couple days ago, the screen started randomly going black with several horizontal lines running through it that move across the screen. It does not always happen and sometimes the computer appears to be completely fine for a couple hours and the. Other times it goes blank dozens of times in a few minutes. I noticed that when it is really bad, opening or closing new tabs seems to set it off. Is there anyone that may know what could be wrong?
My elite book 8460 is also having the same problem only when is running on a battery but when is plug to electricity it works normal still trying to find out the fault