Solved! hp probook 455 g1 black screen caps blinking 1 time

hartuk

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hello so as i said in title when i turn my probook on it's only black screen and caps lock is blinking 1 time fan is at full speed I tried everything, reseating RAM, CPU, cmos battery, hdd... tried on external monitor, tried hard reset, tried w/o cabel , w/o battery... on hp site 1 caps lock blink means that cpu is non responsive but I also called hp service and they told me that it doesnt need to be cpu that it can be gpu, or motherboard and I'm not realy sure should i trust them... should i try puting diffrent cpu?

CPU: AMD A8 5550m
dual gpu 8700 series + cpu's
12 GB RAM

Solution
Most likely AMD getting rekt but you could still try reprogram bios. Not sure if you guys can get to crisis mode while having 1 blink but you can try.

Follow these instructions first: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833
Try both methods with first only windows + b/v key and then download and make recovery usb.

If these fail you need to disassembly and flash bios chip with spi programmer, you can get for less than 10 euros usb one.
Search ch341a from ebay example, more like less than 5 euros shipped. You need to solder that green pcb so you can solder 8pin bios chip to it. If you want abit easier you can get programmer which you can mount chip directly but those are abit more expensive.

mshtaqq

Great
Mar 17, 2018

Same problem with me>>> my laptop is Hp 455 G3 and also AMD>>>
I tried every thing out but still no luck... I believe it is from the bios. so we need to reprogram it but I don't know how. ?

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Most likely AMD getting rekt but you could still try reprogram bios. Not sure if you guys can get to crisis mode while having 1 blink but you can try.

Follow these instructions first: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833
Try both methods with first only windows + b/v key and then download and make recovery usb.

If these fail you need to disassembly and flash bios chip with spi programmer, you can get for less than 10 euros usb one.
Search ch341a from ebay example, more like less than 5 euros shipped. You need to solder that green pcb so you can solder 8pin bios chip to it. If you want abit easier you can get programmer which you can mount chip directly but those are abit more expensive.

Solution

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018

mshtaqq

Great
Mar 17, 2018

Thanks a lot for the quick reply :::
i think the cpu and graphic card are on the same integrate >.. i will attach the motherboard pics...
can you please explain what you mean by reseat? or soldering to mobo?

by the way my cpu is A10-8700p >>>

i really appreciate your advises >> i will by the usb programmer you mentioned... but the hp bios file i downloaded from hp website is in exe form ... however, i could extract it and it included a .bin file 8MB. do you think i should flash that file?

my motherboard looks like this :
http://

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Toi bad looks like your cpu is integrated to motherboard, means soldered in bga you cant swap it.

Corrupted bios is still something to try since programmer is so cheap and its good to learn. You can recover bricked gpus and laptop or dekstop bios and ec bios with it easily too.

I will look into what bios file you need. You also need correct drivers for programmer

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Just checked myself, did you get 2 .bin files? N80_0118.bin and N79_0118.bin i compared them with hex editor and there is differences. First need to check your bios file size when you extracted chip, make always backup incase new file didnt fix it you can flash the old one in.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
oh you got the one with clip on-board. You dont have to even solder chip off board if you dont want to. I rescued 10 dead laptop,desktop boards and gpu:s with 5 euro spi programmer. These are always good to have.

mshtaqq

Great
Mar 17, 2018
Just checked myself, did you get 2 .bin files? N80_0118.bin and N79_0118.bin i compared them with hex editor and there is differences. First need to check your bios file size when you extracted chip, make always backup incase new file didnt fix it you can flash the old one in.

actually i don't know which one is the right one but i will definitely back up first...
one more thing i noticed is that when i power on the laptop without the ram it does beep .. does that mean its bios is working ?

thanks

mshtaqq

Great
Mar 17, 2018

really!! thanks i have a hope now... yes i tried to include the clip for that purpose...

:)

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
That depends. EC bios is atleast working since your getting lights and fan. I had older hp laptops recodnize ram missing but one had 1 beep and another had longer beep codes which i checked was bios corruption. The one which had multiple beeps had to replace whole bios chip which was faulty, flashing didnt help. One with 1 beep flashing fixed it.

But unfortunately i had like 5 which was AMD Graphics card or northbridge faulty. If flashing bios wont fix it then you need to try reflow since you cant replace it on this board.

Try to boot without anything else connected than power button cable, fan, cpu and 1 ram and external monitor cable plugged in. Dont short anything or let any connectors touch motherboard or each other and use something like wood or cardboard under it without any dirt. Put power cable to dc jack and try to boot

mshtaqq

Great
Mar 17, 2018

that is great! as much as you confirm that beeps doesn't necessarily refer to healthy bios....

I am afraid i don't have a hot air gun to try fixing the integrated cpu (reflowing it) ... but i wanted to buy one as i read in a forum about heating the gpu solved some similar issues.

can i ask for your advise about a cheap soldering device which include hot air gun??

on the other hand, i tried exactly as you said (taking out any connected cable/part from motherboard only connected the power button and fan ,connected to an external lcd and only left one ram, but no luck.

thanks again and again

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Corrupted ec bios => wont get even power light when connecting, no booting, no fan, nothing
Corrupted bios => you can get beep codes and everything, usually bios corruption or cpu failure codes. Usually black screen with fan on

Its still 60% change it is a amd related issue but we will see. Reflow is not really a fix but sometimes it can work for 6months to a year depending how well its done. Most of the time from days to months.

mshtaqq

Great
Mar 17, 2018
Finally , yes it was a bios issue. I recieved the bios chip clip and the mini programmer ch341A yesterday. But the clip was useless. Because I programmed the bios via the clip but the laptop didn't work. But today I desolder the bios from the board and solder it with its place on the programmer. Then erase the chip and write the orginal bios to the chip. Then desolder from the programmer and solder it to the motherboard.
However, it does showed the HP logo but the screen went black again. But this time the windows+b method worked and I got a progress showing that the HP is getting ready. After it reached 100% the HP restarted and everything is running fine now.

Thanks a lot fagetti for the help.

My laptop back to life because of your help.

Thanks
Mstaqq.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Glad you got it working. Which one was correct file ( N80_0118.bin or N79_0118.bin ?)
Sometimes file from manufactor is not complete bios and its missing some parts of it, always backup bios file with programmer and then compare size to the file your about to flash. If its 2mb then you need 2mb file, or 8mb chip needs 8mb flash. Also Hex editor is great tool to compare bios file differences https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/ just compare two files to see if they even have a difference

mshtaqq

Great
Mar 17, 2018

Actually, I tried a dumped bios I downloaded from an Arabic forum. but it was N79 one and older version. However, to make this post useful I uploaded the file to 4shed server and this is the link:
N79_0116_DMI
Again thanks for the explanation on comparing the bois file via Hex editor and checking the differences...

I will definitely follow your advice.

:)

mshtaqq

Great
Mar 17, 2018

Yes, my laptop issue was exactly the same as hartuk one. the only difference is my laptop generation is Hp 455 G3 not Hp 455 G1. But I will try to find if the forum provide a dumped .bin file for hartuk laptop. and if I found one I will upload it and put the link her

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Yes sometimes things are complicated because manufactor bios file is not complete file just update and missing important parts. In this case best way to find dump file for your motherboard is to look closely on your mobo for model number and google that