Status
Not open for further replies.

john.northy87

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017
Hi, I'm having a problem with my HP Probook 4540s. It's rocking a HD4000+HD7650m combo. The notebook is probably 4 years old. I tried to play fallout 4 (yeah, I know, way out of my league) and was having constant crashes when doing so.

After some thought I decided to reisntall my Windows, got myself a Win10 update, did it and that's when the problems started to arise. First - I couldn't get the HP drivers to work, switchable graphics were inavailible for me. Then I tried installing Leshcat's 14.4, 15.7, 16.2.1 and after a day of constant reloading and shit my notebook snapped.

I started getting BSOD's stating the problem with atikmpag.sys as soon as the desktop screen was loading. Disabling the switchable graphics in BIOS seemed to help get through that. So I next couple of days I've tried reinstalling win 10, got back to win7, tried different combinations of drivers but nothing seems to work. As soon as I load windows with switchable graphics enabled I get a BSOD.

Here's my question - is this whole situation a sign that my radeon 7650m is long gone and I should forget about or there's something that can still be done to save it?

Thanks.

Solution
It may not be the video card, as soon as you start changing things from stock in a laptop, dual graphics is usually the first to break. When you installed Windows 7 again on the system, did you install the drivers from HP only or did you try to install the drivers directly from Intel and AMD? For laptops, the only save drivers to use are those from the HP vendor.
It may not be the video card, as soon as you start changing things from stock in a laptop, dual graphics is usually the first to break. When you installed Windows 7 again on the system, did you install the drivers from HP only or did you try to install the drivers directly from Intel and AMD? For laptops, the only save drivers to use are those from the HP vendor.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.