Question HP Windows 10 onboard keyboard disable issues

Turkeygoblin

Estimable
Feb 9, 2017
So my onboard keyboard is screwed up so I bought a small, thin external keyboard to put on top of it to use instead. The problem is, that doing so presses keys beneath it on the onboard keyboard. So I uninstalled the onboard keyboards in device manager. But they keep reinstalling themselves upon restart. I had this issue years ago and remember creating some kind of hotkey to disable the onboard keyboard every time I restarted, but I can't remember what I did?

Is there some way to "permanently" uninstall the onboard laptop keyboard, or create a hotkey that I can use after restarting, so I can keep the new external keyboard on top of the onboard keyboard without issue?

Thanks a bunch!

Turkeygoblin

Estimable
Feb 9, 2017
I saw this threadhttps://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/laptop-keyboard-wont-uninstall-in-device-manager.455992/ with a similar problem, where people say there's basically nothing you can do. But I know that not to be the case, because about 10 years ago I remember adding some kind of small program that would run and disable the onboard keyboard. surely there's a way to still do this?

I know of no way to disable the keyboard via software. There are some potential mechanical fixes:
  • Unplug the keyboard inside the machine. This may cause a startup keyboard failure the response to which is unknown by me. You would have to just try it.
  • Perhaps pop off all the key tops. Depending on how they are made, that may keep them from depressing. Usually, the tops just pry off with a little effort. Would leave a very ugly machine.
  • Come up with some sort of rigid plate with standoffs that would keep the new keyboard spaced above the old one.
Not very helpful hints but maybe one would appeal to you.

Turkeygoblin

Estimable
Feb 9, 2017
I know of no way to disable the keyboard via software. There are some potential mechanical fixes:
  • Unplug the keyboard inside the machine. This may cause a startup keyboard failure the response to which is unknown by me. You would have to just try it.
  • Perhaps pop off all the key tops. Depending on how they are made, that may keep them from depressing. Usually, the tops just pry off with a little effort. Would leave a very ugly machine.
  • Come up with some sort of rigid plate with standoffs that would keep the new keyboard spaced above the old one.
Not very helpful hints but maybe one would appeal to you.

Dang that sucks. I must have had a Macbook at the time instead of the laptop I remember. Macbooks can definitely do it. Ugh. Well thanks for the reply, appreciate it.