Question Odd Bluetooth KB / Windows 10 Laptop issue.

Jun 29, 2022
Hi folks,

I'm using a pretty sturdy but old Dell Latitude for work and it pairs with a Microsoft Mobile Bluetooth 5000 keyboard just fine. My Microsoft mouse has it's own dongle and everything just works fine.

The issue only starts when I use a bluetooth headphone with built-in mic (Sony XM4).

Everything appears working until I try to type something (with the XM4 connected). The keyboard starts mis-responding by duplicating keys I press and goes on non-stop and generally goes wonky and doesn't respond normally. The only way to stop the repeating keys is to power off the keyboard and power it on again but even then it doesn't want to work properly. The only fix is to disable the bluetooth XM4 headphones and hey presto everything is back to normal.

I cannot find a fix for this online anywhere and drivers and all are pretty up-to-date.

Not sure if anyone has any advice or fixes apart from "Don't use the XM4"?

Sounds like it's interference, don't see what you can do there unless you get newer drivers or firmware that fix the issue. I would bet if you bring this up with Dell, Sony and Microsoft they will each point the finger at the others as the cause of the issue. I would try a different bluetooth keyboard or device to see how different ones act. Test them on another computer, put them under different scenarios. You may want to contact Sony support since a single headset connected should not be causing issues with other devices, there may be an issue with their hardware or software where it's taking too much bandwidth or causing wireless interference more than it should. Going over the power spec for example would do that. But in my experience with things, at least for the first several tries the vendors just say it's the fault of the other vendor.

Reactions: ckizso
Jun 29, 2022
Sounds like it's interference, don't see what you can do there unless you get newer drivers or firmware that fix the issue. I would bet if you bring this up with Dell, Sony and Microsoft they will each point the finger at the others as the cause of the issue. I would try a different bluetooth keyboard or device to see how different ones act. Test them on another computer, put them under different scenarios. You may want to contact Sony support since a single headset connected should not be causing issues with other devices, there may be an issue with their hardware or software where it's taking too much bandwidth or causing wireless interference more than it should. Going over the power spec for example would do that. But in my experience with things, at least for the first several tries the vendors just say it's the fault of the other vendor.

Thanks for replying. I suspected the same but I've not found any alternative drivers other than the one that's in-built with Windows 10.

Oh well. I'll just have to use wired headphones.