HTC: No Gingerbread Update for Desire Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Do not have a smartphone so I don't care either way...

BUT, I do appreciate that a company is willing to come out and tell the customer exactly why they can't do something, rather then feeding the customer some sugarcoated bs. This is, of course, HTC is being truthful.

If they are, +1 for HTC.

houdiniact

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I totally think that they should allow two upgrade paths. 1 being for the pure android experience and one for whatever UI the particular company offers. I mean the phones are all manufacturer dependent so its not like taking their custom UI away will confuse people who made the phone. A thunderbolt would still be a thunderbolt with or without sense I have personally used my thunderbolt without sense UI and and that doesnt make it less of a thunderbolt

mbooth1234

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I have an HTC Inspire with AT&T which is essentially the same phone so I guess this puts me in this boat as well. I would gladly give up the Sense for a newer OS.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Just upgraded from an HTC Magic (old, but I like it) to the Google/Samsung Nexus S. I love the pure Android. There are things I miss from the Sense UI, but I can live wihtout them.

I would definitely prefer that I can move a phone forward, rather than have it left behind because of an added UI. Of course, now I won't have to - thank you Google.

@ben850 - what about 2G users - can they use all of the features in iOS 4? How much longer will the 3GS be upgradeable? I appreciate that it is currently supported because my wife has the 3GS (which is a really nice phone). It should stay up to date for a while because the OS and the hardware come from one company. The Android world is more varied over hardware and add-on software, except for the Google phones. They retain control - like Apple, keep pure Android on them, and they update them (not sure how long it can continue as the OS may outstrip the hardware, like the iPhone 2G). The original Google Nexus One has been upgraded to Gingerbread.

For the HTC Magic, maybe it's time to root it and put in one of the mods?

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Can't wait to install iOS5 on my two year old 3GS.[/citation]

Just don't whine when you get slowdowns and crap.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]Just don't whine when you get slowdowns and crap.[/citation]

Most likely will be lag issues on the 3GS. Luckily my contract is up this month, so I will go for the iPhone5 or whichever Android phone is top of the line. I can adapt to different OS's but I CANNOT stand a laggy UI.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
My Samsung Galaxy S phone is more then capable, considering its STILL one of the best phones on the market. Samsung is just being terrible about bringing the update to the US market.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Of course, all WP7 phones will be able to run Mango seeing as the hardware has to conform.

Now that the market is settling down we are starting to see Android fragment into those who can and those who can't and there will be a lot of ill-feeling amongst those who have signed up for a 2 year contract and stuck with no update path.

G

HTC desire... my worst buy ever!... No-one I have met who owns one likes them, only the techno geek who has time to learn it's intricacies seems to love them.

G

I have HTC Desire. Running Gingerbread. Just not the way HTC wanted me to be running it. If Gingerbread+Sense is too much for the phone, let users opt to ditch Sense to run Gingerbread.

It's bordering on unfair restraint not to allow this.

I'm running the Oxygen-2.1.3 ROM for those interested.

G

Why does the wildfire s have an upgrade path, a phone with less features, seems like Marketing B.S to me, sorry but the upgrade on Android phones is just terrible only the nexus phones have a clear road of updates. I rather loose all the extra customization and have a pure android experience. Iphone 3gs still have life left, most android phone of 2009 are now left in the dust.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]drunkahol[/nom]I have HTC Desire. Running Gingerbread. Just not the way HTC wanted me to be running it. If Gingerbread+Sense is too much for the phone, let users opt to ditch Sense to run Gingerbread.It's bordering on unfair restraint not to allow this.I'm running the Oxygen-2.1.3 ROM for those interested.[/citation]
I don't think they are being mean and spiteful to specific HTC owners, there is probably a technical issue that affects 0.01% of users, so if they roll out the update it will be them who is liable for bricking your phone because they know about it in advance.

They really don't mind you forcing the update yourself because if you do and it screws up the handset you only have yourself to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.