HTC One M8 Texting/Signal Issue

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Hi everyone,

I just recently purchased the new HTC One M8 on a new contract with Verizon roughly three weeks ago. So far, I absolutely love the phone, and really enjoy almost everything about it. However, I do have one rarely occuring problem with it, however when it does occur it is very annoying. Sometimes, even when I have good signal (2-3 bars with 4G LTE connection), it will fail to send text messages. I can surf the web and use data connection as normal with high speeds, but text messages will stay stuck in the "pending" stage forever. Even deleting the message and then trying again with a new text still has the problem. Also, most of the time, texts send normally very quickly even with worse signal, say 1 or 2 bars with 3G, so this is very abnormal when it does happen.

The worst part is the only way to fix the problem is to restart my phone, which has really hurt me for group projects and when I need to use it to work on important documents on a time constraint.

Is this something that is known to be an issue with the phone, something that is normal, or something that is a legitimate issue? It has only happened twice or maybe 3 times since I have had the phone, but it is still troublesome to me. Any suggestions on what to do to diagnose and fix the issue? Thanks!

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Generally, the best thing to do is take it into Verizon. Sounds like something is wrong with your 4G LTE connection, and maybe getting a new SIM from Verizon will fix it.

Is your web browsing you mentioned coming from 4G LTE or WiFi or 3G?

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
The web/data usage is from all three of those, but in the most recent incident of this problem I was using 4G LTE. The problem is 90% of the time it works normally and there is not issue with anything no matter what connections I use and what I do. It's also hard to discern what the issue actually is, either the phone or provider, because the phone is doing normal browsing activity perfectly fine so it seems like it wouldn't be that, but then again the service is also working as normal too, so it wouldn't seem to be that, either. I'm very confused by all of this.

baseballkid126

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014

I'm having the same issue, did you find a solution?

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Not really, I called Verizon customer support many times to try to "fix" the phone and they couldn't fix it (since it is pretty obviously a hardware issue, as many tests and factory resets didn't help whatsoever and neither did a new SIM card). So I asked if they would send me a new phone, and they said yes. And to confirm I double checked to see if it would be a brand new phone, and guess what? They said that I was out of the time window (because their awful support wasted so much time "troubleshooting") to get a brand new phone, so they would send me a "like new" refurbished M8.

I wasn't having any of that crap of having a defunct brand new 1 month old $600 phone that I got broken on day 1 shipped away to get a used one, so I just said no thanks and kept my current one.

Haven't actually found a fix, but the problem happens a lot less often now. I think the issue is that the phone displays the signal as stronger than it actually is or something, because it happens all the time in one area of my house, and after a few minutes of standing there the singnal drops from 4 bars of 4G LTE to like 2 of 3G, so I have no idea.

Sophie S-j

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
Hi I've been having the same problems with the htc one m8, I've had it since July and after about a month or 2 these problems occurred. It's got so bad that I'm resetting my phone up to 10 times a day, I've hadmy account reset with my provider EE and also had a sim swap and I'm still having this issue. I really like the phone so i really don't want to have to swap it for something else and I'm disappointed to find that it's most likely the phone and not a network issue. I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of a phone swap and getting a refurbished phone or maybe a new one as i have to transfer all of my stuff over. Have you or anyone else found a solution to the problem? I really don't want to go through any more hassle trying to fix it with my network provider as it's becoming a joke.
Thanks
Sophie

Paraventure

Estimable
Sep 19, 2014
I'm having the same problem. Tried all of the above. I have realised it's something to do with in coming data at the same time a text goes out. Turn data off and usually it's OK but don't turn off your screen as that will also stop the text. I've deleted hangups as its also reported to cause a problem. Done a hard reset and 2 Sims but turning off data and keeping the screen on is the only thing that works. Sounds like a software or hardware issue to me.

nmz787

Estimable
Sep 30, 2014

I'be been getting this for a long time and never thought to look online until now. It really sucks. Turning off data didn't cause the messages to get sent, though I only waited about 30 seconds. Now I just got error 65535 class 2.

This phone and Android seems to have so many problems :(

Another discussion online mentioned going to airplane mode and back, this does seem to have worked to flush my queued messages out.

Paraventure

Estimable
Sep 19, 2014

I've this week been in contact with HTC who says that there is a known issue with text messaging on the UK EE network and they are working flat out to produce an update that will fix this. I'm assuming its causing the same problems elsewhere.

Cheers
As this is severely affecting my business, I'm now selling the M8 and getting a Note 4. I simply haven't got time for this.

Ivan Skavar

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
Had the same issue this eveing, well maybe yestersay afternoon as I just realised that a whole bunch of texts didnt go. I seem to have sorted it on my M8, I activated 'delivery report' in settings. They get sent but was getting a delivery report every time, so I deactivated delivery report, turned the phone off and then on. Tried sending an SMS again but would not go untile I reactivated delivery report. Crazy thing is I then turned dr off and it seems to have re-set itself 'for the time being'

Ivan Skavar

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

try my solution left today

lar88

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
Hi there, I have the same problem with txt messages. EE are denying all knowledge of a problem with network.

Has anyone done a hard reset to see if it solves problem? EE told me it may help....and to acquire a new SIM from an EE store.

Lisa

Sophie S-j

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014

I got a new sim from EE and it didn't make any difference what so ever.
Also I'm now having issues with wifi, so not only can i not text, i can't use wifi instead! It says wifi connection unstable and I've reset my wifi hub a few times already and whatever i do doesn't make a difference! Anybody having the same problem since the android update 4.4.4? Would really appreciate some advice before i go to EE or HTC and tell them to shove the phone, cos I'm sick of all these stupid issues with it, i really like this phone when it's not playing up!

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Sounds like you have bad radios. Just talk to HTC and they'll be happy to get you a replacement, i'm sure!

lar88

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
Hi guys...

Spoke to Nicola R at HTC today.

I'm not sure if this is just a short term fix - but I'm going to keep my eye on it for a few days.

She told me to type *#*#4636#*#*
Click on phone information
Scroll down and click REFRESH then UPDATE smsc.

Mine seems to be ok for now - although I won't be heavy texting today so it's hard to judge.

Give it a go and give me some feedback - I will get in touch with them next week if the problem persists! :)

Ande Pearson

Estimable
Nov 11, 2014

type that into where mate? a message? can you give clearer steps for me to follow as i have this issue 1 week after getting phone, making me want my iphone back!!

edit - sorry got it, type it in as though doing a phonecall, then takes you to the phone info page. nice trick!

Sophie S-j

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
Hi guys,
Almost a week ago my mum noticed her phone having a similar problem and she deleted all of her messages and the problem seemed to be solved, so i did this, and surprisingly it actually seems to of solved my problem! Something so, so simple and EE couldn't even figure it out! Lol idiots! Well I've been deleting them daily now for about 5 days and the pending issue which used to occur constantly for me, has now disappeared! I hope this helps you guys as its been a problem for me for about 5 months, and I'm sure many of you may be on the same page, so I thought I'd share this to help all of you angry or disappointed EE/HTC customers! So I really hope this works for you guys who are still having problems, as this simple solution seems to have done the trick for me! Yay :)
Thanks hope it helps :)