HTC Tells Apple to Compete and Stop Complaining

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Stupid US software patents... like patenting taking actions on structured data, like calling the phone number you received in your SMS. Like millions of dumb phones before iPhone couldnt do it. But apple has a patent. Go figure.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
There also another possible solution to deal with this problem.
Apple is trying in an unhealthy manner to disrupt other phone manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC, etc.
All of those manufacturers together with Google should just fight back against Apple , together not individually.
They have a common enemy, so, they should unite and fight back with one larger force.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]iPhone=idiotPhoneThe idiotPhone is geared towards idiots that are too dumb to figure out how to turn on a computer and make something work without attempting to do it themselves.[/citation]

Eh say what? Look it up. I did. And you know what. Apple is far down the list on 14th place.
Here you go take a look your self. Try hving some smarts to actually look it up your self. Sigh how pathetic to try and glorify apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_global_technology_companies

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
[citation][nom]idono[/nom]Eh say what? Look it up. I did. And you know what. Apple is far down the list on 14th place.Here you go take a look your self. Try hving some smarts to actually look it up your self. Sigh how pathetic to try and glorify apple.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_ [...] _companies[/citation]

Ahh sorry somehow i cited your post instead.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Always a bunch of Apple haters commenting on these stories. I don't own any Apple products, but I notice there were not any Iphone type cell phones until after it was released. Then everyone else started releasing there copies (i mean their Iphone killers). There were not any Ipad type devices until after the Ipad was released and then everybody started releasing there copies ( I mean their Ipad killers). Maybe HTC should be first to the market on something instead of making products that seem an awful lot to mimic or copy existing products on the market. How about someone come out with something first so that Apple has to come late to the market and try to make a Samsung killer or an HTC killer. Just maybe Apple has a case if you look at the whole story and not just your Apple hater hang up.[/citation]

You're joking, right?

'Iphone type cell phones' were not found before Apple did it?? Maybe in the USA, not in the rest of the world, mate.

'Ipad type devices' ???? WTF??? Ipad is a freaking tablet PC. A stylish one, but a styilish PC. And those have been around for many years before Ipad.

G

One of these big companies should sue the US patents office, its allowing patents for almost anything now...no matter how stupid or obvious or how much prior art it has.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]LeonBruun[/nom]HTC should innovate, Apple owns those patents. Apple's "closed" ecosystem is alot better than that open android shit, 50% of all theyre apps are buggy as shit. And you can only stand so many fart and / or burp apps.Apple did make the first tablet of its kind. Apple dosent do this for money, they have enough of that. They dont want HTC or samsung to steal theyre shit. They own those patents in question. Yes Apple did violate alot of HTC and Nokia patents and they are paying for that. They are playing the same game as the competition.[/citation]

Meh.. In my line of working with Computers... sure grab an Apple Mac if you want to do some photoshop'ing and almost never get viruses.. need to do some actual programming? Get a PC. Until recently (when Apple started sticking PC hardware in their machines) that was hardly even possible.

I'll give Apple one thing.. i think we can all agree they are good at Marketing overpriced non-innovative products, and good if you need it for click-and-point work and have never heard of a shell. They have been the go-to company for users who regularly fuck up their PC's ( I like what they did with ROM).

I think Apple and Microsoft users will forever be divided.. Apple seems to cater towards those who are not so tech savvy ( always with some exceptions ), not to say that Microsoft's user base is so much more tech savvy ( plenty of idiots use microsoft ).

I guess my point is.. if you want innovation and open-source and competition.. support Unix or something. Normally i'd say support Microsoft but lately it seems like they are trying to Apple-fy themselves, guess we will see with Windows 8.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
^ Innovation? I mean, I like Ubuntu and all, but innovation... really? Can't even get decent driver support so far. Of course, that's not Ubuntu's fault but rather the manufacturers', but still... didn't see any innovation over the last 4 versions (since Hardy Heron). It just got more stable (more closer to the stability of a serious OS), got more GUI features and totally changed a few good things for no reason at all (for example, the way GRUB used to be configured in 7.04 was perfect... now it's a mess). Good OS, but no innovation detected. Correct me if I'm wrong.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
First they went after Samsung. I don't like Samsung but at least they aren't such a baby compared to Apple.

Now they go after HTC, one of the most respectable mobile manufacturers around. Frankly, I don't know what Apple is trying to do here.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
HTC got hit with the nerf bat and stocks are tumbling. Of course HTC wants Apple to relax so they can continue to use Apple's patents without paying for it! Trust me if Apple used any HTC patents they would be all over Apple!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]No, the ipod was NOT an original idea. The first portable mass produced MP3 player was Saehan's MPMan, sold in Asia starting in the late spring of 1998. It was released in the United States as the Eiger Labs MPMan F10/F20 (two variants of the same device) in the summer of 1998.The iPhone was NOT an original idea, there were smart phones WAY before the iPhone came out. The first smartphone was the IBM Simon, released in 1992.The iPad was NOT an original idea. I don't really care to look up who made the first one, but I know that Microsoft showcased their Windows Tablet PC OS back in 2001. I owned my first tablet back in 2004 (a Gateway convertible tablet, touchscreen which flipped around flat so you could use it without the keyboard).Please tell me A SINGLE THING that Apple invented as NEW AND ORIGINAL![/citation]

Tell me a company that innovated products that became wildly popular. Obviously the hardware you listed didnt go anywhere because no one has heard of them. True that a truly original product is hard to come by but NONE of the items you mentioned did it as well as Apple!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Tell me a company that innovated products that became wildly popular. Obviously the hardware you listed didnt go anywhere because no one has heard of them. True that a truly original product is hard to come by but NONE of the items you mentioned did it as well as Apple![/citation]

Bah, sent sooner than I should but who else had a graphical OS before Apple MAC? Not innovative??? hah! True the concept was from Xerox but Apple made a fully functional graphical OS before anyone! New and Original! People can hate Apple but cannot deny the success is for a good reason.

G

Patent 5,946,647 from 1996
huge patent - doesn't Skype do this with Phone numbers? What about apps that detect keywords on webpages and create a hyperlink to ads (aka 'that-damn-blue-underlined-text-that-appears-all-over-Toms'), at a cursory glance even Word's spell check is hit by this one. Wonder where this patent ends?

Patent 6,343,263 from 1994
Originally aimed at modems for gods sake but generalised to cover just about every serial device not yet invented
"For example, it can also be employed as a high-performance interconnect to multimedia devices such as digital imaging equipment and audio appliances."
again, cursory glance but seems to cover aspects of just about every OS in existence, not just Android. Thinking that HDMI audio / encryption is covered by this too

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I do hate the idea that patents may be stiffling innovation but if patents didn't exist China would be pumping out iPad clones for $199 and Apple out of business. So gotta play by the rules and may the best company win!

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Hey I have been saying this for years, quit complaining and let your products speak for themselves!
Lets just hope Apple doesn't go to the government complaining life isn't fair like some other companies!

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]snotling[/nom]I'm not about deffending Apple or anything but its a matter of principle for most businesses to sue over patent infrigements because if they dont then Patents (or copyrights) won't mean a thing and the people doing research, creation and such won't be protected from cheap copycats.so by all means, let Apple make their point but don't make it "news" because it's not... its just business as usual.[/citation]

Actually, this is not true. Most businesses have to do a cost/benefit analysis to determine if the money made/market advantage won by defending a patent is worth the money/time/resources spent pursuing the lawsuit. And secondly, the US patent and copyright system is incredibly flawed, and everyone involved knows it. A large number of patents/copyrights granted are for what experts in the field would describe as either not-innovative, obvious, or otherwise not significantly unique from another solution.

The patent system no longer protects innovators, it just provides patents that get bundled by licensing groups or bought by huge corporations so that they can waste resources suing each other. Read about it, it's pretty interesting and also troubling.

Status
Not open for further replies.